- Idris Elba (43) who earned acclaimed for his role in Beasts of No Nation but was nevertheless shut out of an acting nomination for the Oscars, spoke about problems in Britain's entertainment industry before a group of British Members of Parliament on Monday.
- The London native said he had to leave the U.K for the U.S. in order to thrive as a leading actor.
- If he never came to America says he'd be stuck with "best friend" and "sidekick cop" parts, never would have gotten lead in Luther.
- Asks in British media how often are black people are regulated to petty criminals, women are love interests, gay people are stereotypical, if their stories are even told at all.
- “Talent is everywhere, opportunity isn’t. And talent can’t reach opportunity.”