Films were ranked based on what percentage of their budgets they earned back at the theater as of November 18 (films released in November were not included), they also used information from sources such as Box Office Mojo & IMDB + production budgets. Also, only movies that opened in more than 2,000 theaters were considered to screen out films that had small openings.
- Bill Murray's 'Rock The Kasbah' leads the list - it has 8% @ Rotten Tomatoes, a budget of $15 million and grossed $2.9 million.
- #2 was Sean Penn's 'The Gunman', which he also co-wrote and co-produced. $10.7 million in box office and a $40 million budget.
- Not even a tight budget could help Zac Efron's 'We Are Your Friends'. Budget of $6 million and a global box office of $3.6 million.
- Looking at Tomorrowland's $209 million box office total and considering its $190 million production budget, you may not consider it a flop, but studios only keep about half of ticket revenues, so Walt Disney likely pocketed just over $100 million.
- Amy Pascal could already see what a flop the all-star movie, 'Aloha', starring BCoop, upcoming Asian star Emma Stone and directed by Cameron Crowe, would be. According to the Sony hacks, she said:
“I’m never starting a movie again when the script is ridiculous,” Pascal wrote. “I don’t care how much I love the director and the actors.”
- Still, ticket sales are projected to close out 2015 at record levels, with a prediction that the domestic box office will top $11 billion for the first time. A lot of it thanks to Universal Pictures and its releases such as Furious 7, Minions and Jurassic World.
Top 5 Flops of 2015
1. Rock The Kasbah (Box Office: $2.9 million / Estimated Production Budget: $15 million)
2. The Gunman (Box Office: $2.9 million / Estimated Production Budget: $15 million)
3. Blackhat (Box Office: $19.4 million / Estimated Production Budget: $70 million)
4. Unfinished Business (Box Office: $14.4 million / Estimated Production Budget: $35 million)
5. Jem and the Holograms (Box Office: $2.3 million / Estimated Production Budget: $5 million)
let's count how many of these flop movies had a PoC as lead.
Source 2 (full list)