Hey, it's me! Your [as of lately] daily bringer of Floptastic Flop news! Let's get right to it!
Fantastic Four (2015) was originally tracking a $40-50 million opening weekend. I told you yesterday that it was official that Fantastic Four was flopping and was struggling to make it to $30 million. just444 later commented that it was on track for a $28 million opening weekend.
Sorry, Fox! It looks like Fantastic Four will only make $26.2 million during its opening weekend. How tragic is that? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the one that came out in 1990, made $25,398,367 during its opening weekend. Blade II opened with $32,528,016.
It also did not take the #1 spot at the box office. Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation is #1 during its second week with $29.4 million.
- Only made $11 million on Friday, that includes $2.7 million from Thursday showings.
- Dropped 25% on Saturday.
- Has a C- Cinemascore.
- Massive second week drop expected.
- Only expected to make $60-65 million domestically. Its budget was $120 million (no clue if that includes advertising). It could potentially make less than Chronicle's $64.5 million domestic total and that had a budget of $12 million.
- Only made $34.1 million overseas for a $60 million worldwide debut.
- Would be lucky to reach $200 million worldwide. Fantastic Four (2005) made $330,579,719 Worldwide and Rise of the Silver Surfer made $289,047,763.
Also in June, an unidentified insider "close to the situation" revealed that the older Fantastic Four movies were removed from Amazon and iTunes so they wouldn't distract the promotion of the reboot. Looks like that didn't help!
So far, none of the people associated with this movie or even the studio has commented on Fantastic Four since it debuted. Trank admitted it was a flop before Thursday showings. Producer Simon Kinberg said it was not a disaster on August 3rd. He also said on Thursday (before showings) that Fantastic Four and X-Men would have nothing to do with each other because parallel universes. 20th Century Fox is expected to say something Monday, when studios usually provide "official" numbers.
Here's a juicy rumor for you to end this post. It is not confirmed at all. Fox is supposedly going to postpone the Fantastic Four sequel and release Deadpool 2 on its June 9, 2017 date.
Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6