- Her parents wanted her to go into law, but after grad school she turned down training at the firm Slaughter and May so she could spend a year modeling
- Her modeling was intended to pay for classes at Drama Centre London
- Her parents felt worried at her career prospects as an actress.
- Gemma initially did not pursue acting, saying, "Growing up, I never saw any Asian faces on TV, so it didn’t feel like a viable option"
- Gemma on auditions: "I’ve been fortunate in my career, but, yes, there have been many times when I have been told my audition has been cancelled because they’re only going to see white people."
- In regards to the intersection of race and gender: "The statistics are really depressing. I remember reading some that made me think, ‘Oh, you are more likely to see an alien in a Hollywood film than an Asian woman.'"