- Thomas Müller has said that "it would be boring" if Cristiano Ronaldo won the award this year over his Bayern Munich and Germany teammate Manuel Neuer.
- Gianluigi Buffon believes that Neuer will not get the award because it is extremely difficult for goalkeepers to win. His favorite to win is Ronaldo.
- Arjen Robben paid tribute to the three nominees by saying that they are all worthy contenders for the award.
"They [Messi, Ronaldo and Neuer] deserved it, because they are fantastic players," he told NOS.
- Germany legend Lothar Matthaeus thinks that Cristiano Ronaldo's goal scoring record will "outshine everything" in the race for the Ballon D'Or.
"My personal concern is that Ronaldo will win the award. His goal ratio is unique, he sets new records," he told reporters at an event hosted by Sky.
"Normally the World Cup should outshine everything, but in the end Ronaldo's goals will outshine everything. To me he is the favourite, because he fascinates us every week.
"Messi is only the underdog because he was injured too often and was not in his best shape at the World Cup. For me he was not so strong during the tournament. Fifa's experts voted him player of the tournament, but that was a gift. I think he shook his head himself when he got the trophy up there after the final. Manuel invented a new keeper style. He is the 11th player on the field, sort of a sweeper. And at the World Cup he had the perfect stage to show it. "
- Legendary Italian goalkeeper Dino Zoff has also claimed that Manuel Neuer deserves to win the Ballon D'Or but believes that he won't win.
- Italian manager Giovanni Trapattoni favors Neuer in the Ballon D'Or race.
- Michel Platini (ugh) has claimed that the Ballon D'Or should go to a World Cup winner, gets chastised by Real Madrid for doing so.
- Barcelona coach Luis Enrique feels that Messi is the best player of 2014.
- And finally, Gerard Pique claims that Messi is more "naturally talented" than Ronaldo.
"Messi is more of a natural talent," he told Voetbal Magazine. "He's not as obsessed with training. It is not a matter of who's better but of perception.
"I admire the mental strength shown by Cristiano after Messi won the Ballon d'Or four times. I was pleased for him that he had won in 2013.
"It's not only just the talent though. Behind Messi there is a lot of work, he's a formidable force with a very powerful engine that makes him tick. Cristiano is more physical than Messi, yes, but if you lack the physical ability, nothing works."
SOURCE: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, rewritten by me (except for quotes).