• High-profile pair had just sent out invites for wedding
• ‘I’m not ready for all that marriage entails,’ says McIlroy
Rory McIlroy has dramatically announced that he has called off his engagement to the tennis star Caroline Wozniacki, just days after sending out invitations for the pair’s wedding.
McIlroy and Wozniacki confirmed they were to marry on New Year’s Day in Sydney. They were expected to become husband and wife in a ceremony in New York later this year.
However, in a completely unforeseen development on Wednesday morning, McIlroy admitted matters in his personal life had been moving too quickly for his liking. McIlroy had spent time in London last week with Wozniacki, with the golfer tweeting a photo of the view as he dined with his fiancee in Monte Carlo on Sunday evening.
“There is no right way to end a relationship that has been so important to two people,” McIlroy said. “The problem is mine. The wedding invitations issued at the weekend made me realise that I wasn’t ready for all that marriage entails.
“I wish Caroline all the happiness she deserves and thank her for the great times we’ve had. I will not be saying anything more about our relationship in any setting.”
McIlroy stuck to precisely that plan last year, after strong speculation he and Wozniacki had broken up. The 25-year-old is, however, scheduled to appear at a media conference at Wentworth ahead of the BMW PGA Championship on Wednesday morning.