R. Kelly has pretty consistently avoided doing much press in the past few years, presumably because he blames the media for his pervy public image (we'd argue that nasty home video that led to statutory rape charges played a bigger role in all of that). But the R&B singer has been moving out of his comfort zone to promote his new album Black Panties, sitting for a number of interviews (including one in which he compared himself and Chris Brown to Jesus) and opening himself up to questions from his fans.
That last part... well, that was a mistake.
On Tuesday afternoon, R. Kelly accepted questions from his fans via Twitter using the hashtag #AskRKelly. The Internet being the Internet, things did not work out as planned.
First, here's what R. Kelly did divulge:
• "Real Talk" is a true story — the same one that inspired "When a Women's Fed Up."
• He wants to work with Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, and Sevyn Streeter
• His favorite Christmas present was a racecar set he recieved when he was 9
• He prefers black panties to no panties: "it's the thrill of moving them over or pulling them down"
• His favorite collaborations so far have been with "Ronald Isley, MJ, 2Chainz, Kelly Rowland, Jeezy, Amigos, Juicy J, Fat Joe, Gaga, Future, Usher, Whitney"
• He prefers thin crust cheese and sausage pizzas, but "will smash" deep dishes as well.
Getting ready to answer some of my favorite #AskRKelly questions!! Start tweeting!— R. Kelly (@rkelly) December 10, 2013
And here's what people really wanted to know:
R.Kelly is taking questions on Twitter? Ooh, I have one.— O is for Oblectation (@RantingOwl) December 10, 2013
Are you sure you wanna do this, Robert? #AskRKelly
#AskRKelly what is your preferred beverage before you pee on a girl?— Mofos (@Mofos) December 10, 2013
When you said that she reminded you of your Jeep, was it a Power Wheel? #AskRKelly— Twerkoncé (@its_iriel) December 10, 2013
When you wrote 12 Play, were you teaching your boo how to count? #AskRKelly— Petty Cakes (@Ur_N_Good_Hands) December 10, 2013
If age is nothing but a number, why don't you like women with higher numbers? #AskRKelly— Phil A. Minyon (@SirLDot) December 10, 2013
Do you write love letters in the form of permission slips? #AskRKelly— Kneel Before Oz (@letsgetfree13) December 10, 2013
Usher likes older women and R. Kelly likes teens so there's no way they could have been seeing the same girl— Coney? Koni! Konè. (@KidKoni) December 10, 2013
Do you keep the fridge stocked with Lunchables just in case "company" comes over? #AskRKelly— Kneel Before Oz (@letsgetfree13) December 10, 2013