Katy Perry has overtaken Lady Gaga as the most followed female on Twitter.
The pop princess currently has 39,883,873 loyal followers, while Lady Gaga has 39,305,376.
Lady Gaga was the most-followed user on the social network for more than two years, but has now fallen to third place as a likely result of inactivity. The Born This Way star has recently had her hip operated on and has been out of the limelight since February to recover.
The 27-year-old has not tweeted since 6 February and has changed her Twitter profile avatar back to the default egg picture, supposedly as part of a marketing stunt to promote her upcoming fourth album, ARTPOP. It has been rumoured that the album will include a social media component to explore her "existence as a cultural interface".
Despite her lack of social media activity, Lady Gaga recently posted a photo to her fansite littlemonsters.com, bearing a pale complexion and light blond eyebrows, a far cry away from her extravagant onstage persona. "It's a scary thing to revisit those things underneath. All I found was raw passion," she wrote alongside the snap.
1. Justin Bieber (@justinbieber, 42,330,850)
2. Katy Perry (@katyperry, 39,883,873 )
3. Lady Gaga (@ladygaga, 39,305,376 )
4. Barack Obama (@barackobama, 34,538,368)
5. Taylor Swift (@taylorswift13, 31,364,915)
6. Rihanna (@rihanna, 30,781,719)
7. Britney Spears (@britneyspears, 29,728,038)
8. Justin Timberlake (@jtimberlake, 23,285,501)
9. Shakira (@shakira, 21,467,450)
10. Jennifer Lopez (@JLo, 21,399,310)