Live Manhunt Going On In Boston

Follow up from this post about MIT shooting

Following scenes of gunfire and explosions in the Boston neighbourhood of Watertown Thursday night, one suspect has been killed and another is at large in an episode that may be connected to Monday’s Boston Marathon bombing.

The Boston Globe and ABC News were reporting that the two suspects were indeed linked to Monday’s attack, although police had refused to confirm a link.

Just before 4 a.m., an officer overheard on a Boston police scanner reported that officers remained on the lookout for a “white male with dark complexion, or a Middle Eastern male … [wearing] a grey hoodie.”

“Police will be going door by door, street by street, in and around Watertown. Police will be clearly identified. It is a fluid situation,” read a 3:45 a.m. Tweet by the Massachusetts State Police.

Police were telling residents not to open their doors or stop their cars for anyone except a uniformed police officer.

As of Friday morning, an MIT police officer had been killed and a Boston transit officer was reportedly undergoing surgery after having been shot.

The wide-ranging search came just as the FBI released new, clearer images of two men suspected in the marathon bombings, reporting that they were “armed and extremely dangerous.”

Events began just before 11 p.m. ET when reports emerged that an MIT police officer had been shot dead on campus.

Shortly after, police FBI and National Guard units were scrambled into the Boston neighbourhood of Watertown in the wake of a reported carjacking. Nearby residents reported hearing repeated explosions as well as sustained exchanges of gunfire, with police telling bystanders to clear out due to an “active shooter” in the area.

According to the New York Times, police were exchanging fire with two young men wearing backpacks, armed with long guns and explosives and taking cover behind a black Mercedes SUV. At one point, the men are said to have thrown a “large and unwieldy” explosive towards officers, although it did not travel far.

A widely circulated photo by a local resident shows a bullet hole passing clean through a wall and a computer room chair. Another resident published a photo of a “dozen” officers streaming into their backyard.

Television footage broadcast early Friday morning showed a man spread-eagled on the pavement as police approached to bring him into custody. As of early Friday morning, multiple media networks are reporting a link between the man and the Monday afternoon bombings of the Boston Marathon which killed three and injured nearly 200.

Bomb disposal robots were dispatched into Watertown early Friday morning to defuse a number of explosives that were reportedly thrown onto the street by the retreating suspects. At least one device was destroyed in a controlled detonation, with residents advised of the explosion by a sustained airhorn blast.

MIT releases statement after police officer dies in line of duty
“MIT is heartbroken by the news that an MIT Police officer was shot and killed in the line of duty on Thursday night on campus,” wrote the university in a Friday morning press release, adding that the suspects were deemed to have moved off campus by 2 a.m. and it was “safe to resume normal activities.”

At around 2 a.m., MIT Police determined that the suspect was no longer on campus, and that it is safe to resume normal activities. However, the MIT Police ask that members of the MIT Community remain vigilant in the coming hours.

MIT worked with multiple police departments in order to ensure the safety of the MIT campus. Police officers swept the campus in search of the shooter, and MIT sent text and email messages to the members of the MIT community asking them to stay indoors while the search continued.

We will provided fuller news of this tragedy in the coming hours.


Live Tweets:
Map of Events:
List of Streams:

Praying every innocent resident is safe <3
Official post title: Chasing Ghosts Ft. Bruno Mars