Elementary executive producer Rob Doherty and stars Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu gathered at the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour Saturday in Pasadena to tout the hit CBS drama’s post-Super Bowl episode. Read on for scoop about the big installment, the introduction of Moriarty and more.
• “We could not be more excited about it,” Doherty said about landing the “coveted” spot behind the Big Game. “It was a tremendous honor to get it as a first-year show.” In order to appeal to both existing fans and prospective first-time viewers, the hour will feature “a story that we felt that not only was a good example of what the show could be, but also something that our viewers would have fun with.”
• Sherlock’s infamous adversary, Moriarty, is “still coming,” teased Doherty. “We have that to look forward to as we move into the back end of the season.” The EP said he wants “to dollop Moriarty out appropriately,” and following last Thursday’s big mythology reveals, “I foresee us getting a bit more serialized than we have been as we get into the end run for this season.” As for whether the Big Bad will be stunt-cast, Doherty admitted that “it’s tricky business” trying to do so without the news leaking out ahead of the episode. “At the end of the day, we want a tremendous actor,” he added. “It’s probably in the immediate future, but we have a few more weeks before we have to sweat that.”
• Is Irene Adler really dead? “She’s alive in my heart,” replied Doherty. “She’s an important element of Sherlock’s backstory. I’d love to have a face to that name. We’ve talked about doing a flashback show [to] see why Sherlock would be drawn to this particular women — she’s got to be pretty unique — so we definitely want to meet her. In that sense, you will see a living, breathing actress reading lines as Irene [in flashback].”
• Scottish actor John Hannah (Damages, Spartacus: Vengeance) will be introduced as Sherlock’s old dealer from London. “The window into Sherlock and his experience in London will be opened that much wider,” Doherty previewed, adding that he’d love to have both Roger Rees and Vinnie Jones back as Allistair and Sebastian Moran, respectively.
• Have no fear, Sherlock and Watson still aren’t hooking up — a prospect Doherty will seemingly have to shoot down in each and every interview. “People will always anticipate that. Many people will be desirous of that,” he allowed. “But we love to defy expectations on this show. For as long as I’m a part of the show, it’s not something I will want to see, mostly because I don’t think we need it.” Miller then joked: “We just cut the sex scene. We took a dial and we moved it to ‘Back.’”
2013 Winter TCA Tour - Day 9
Actors Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu of "Elementary" speak onstage during the CBS portion of the 2013 Winter TCA Tour at Langham Hotel on January 12, 2013 in Pasadena, California.
1 & 2
Everyone needs to watch this show. And if you aren't caught up, START MARATHONING NOW.
P.S. - Tag please?