- The A.V. ClubCeremonials is Welch barreling off a91Nov 1, 2011cliff on wings made of dear-diary sentiment, art-school theatrics, and
pure-cut sincerity, and somehow, against all odds, she manages to soar.
- SputnikmusicCeremonials is truly one of the few90Nov 4, 2011recent pop LPs that works both as a collection of individual songs and
as a true album, with the right balance and flow to keep the record
captivating from start to finish.
- All Music Guide
- Clash MusicThe only real criticism of90Oct 27, 2011Ceremonials is that this album is completely, relentlessly, Florence.
Her fans will lap it up, while those who aren't keen on her will
probably remain unconvinced.
- Los Angeles Times
- Rolling Stone
- PopMattersAs polished and artistically80Nov 1, 2011challenging as that first effort was, this latest outing gets the most
out of Welch's strengths as a songwriter by shooting for a higher degree
of difficulty and achieving a greater level of proficiency.
- Slant MagazineThe first four tracks of Ceremonials80Oct 31, 2011are essentially flawless....Ceremonials can't help but get weaker as it
continues, a fact which owes less to the quality of the songwriting
than to the album's length (it's over an hour long) and a far less
dynamic second act.
- Paste MagazineCeremonials abandons so many of the73Nov 2, 2011musical avenues she mapped out on Lungs and focuses instead on a
monolithic sound that is certainly affecting but is becoming
increasingly conventional in 2011.
- PitchforkInstead of Lungs' largely charming60Nov 3, 2011yet discombobulating diversity, Ceremonials suffers from a
repetitiveness that's akin to looking at a skyline filled with 100-story
behemoths lined-up one after the other, blocking out everything but
their own size.
- The Independent (UK)
- BBC Music
- The Guardian
- The Observer (UK)
Favourite song? No Light, No Light for me. Epic is an underwhelming way to describe it.