This past weekend, fans piled into the Saban Theater in Beverly Hills to see the cast of True Blood spill their guts about all things vampires, werewolves, witches and shifters as part of the Paley Center for Media's annual PaleyFest. Series creator Alan Ball was on hand, along with stars Anna Paquin, Stephen Moyer, Alexander Skarsgard, Ryan Kwanten, Sam Trammell, Rutina Wesley, Nelsan Ellis, Deborah Ann Woll, Carrie Preston and many others (seriously, it was a huge panel), to dish a ton of dirt about the upcoming summer season -- aka "The Season of the Witch."
Here are 10 Season 4 Secrets that you absolutely need to know:
* Sookie and Bill are broken up. For reals. Yes, they may be tortured soul mates, but as Alan Ball stated "I do think, for them to get back together, it's a journey." He then continued, "It's not going to happen fast. I think the betrayal, or what she perceives as a betrayal, is so deep that I don't think there's an easy way back from that. But hopefully there will be 17 more seasons."
* Meanwhile, the Sookie/Bill break-up leaves Sookie open to the affections of Eric and Alcide. "There's a certain thing about the men in Sookie's life," Paquin said. "Alcide doesn't turn into a ball of charred fire during the daytime. Alcide has that nice warm thing going for him. But Alcide comes with some baggage – namely an ex-girlfriend who wants to kick the ever-loving 'something' out of Sookie." And what about the possibility of an Eric/Sookie hook-up? "Eric's a little problematic for Sookie," she said "I mean, he's caused her some problems and he's mostly looking out for himself a lot of the time but then he sometimes presents himself to be disarmingly on her side. And he's consistently has shown interest. Which they could act upon. I mean you never know." (Note: We think this means "yes" in clandestine actor-speak)
* Fiona Shaw (From the Harry Potter films) is guest starring this summer as the "big bad" - a barrel-bottom fortune teller named Marnie who gets possessed by a powerful witch name Hallow Stonebrook. Alan Ball also announced that Gary Cole (Office Space, American Gothic, The Brady Bunch Movie) will be guesting as well. [yeesssss, hes so sexy as that gun-expert guy on The Good Wife... even though hes a republican.]
* Akin to what happens in Book 4 of the Southern Vampire Chronicles, "Dead to the World," Eric Northman WILL have amnesia (brought about by a coven of vengeful witches) and become a totally different, nicer person. "He doesn't know who he is," actor Skarsgard said. "So, like a thousand years of resentment for humanity is just gone. He's very innocent. Eric needs help. His powerful character is gone. It's a lot of fun for me, because it's so the polar-opposite for who Eric actually is. He is lost. He knows he's a vampire, but slowly he finds out stuff like 'oh, did I do that? I killed those people.' It's not easy stuff to hear."
* Despite the time crunch (i.e. True Blood seasons taking place over the course of a week in Bon Temps-time), we will see Arlene's baby this season. And while Arlene is determined the child is evil, Terry will remain oblivious and content. Also, Arlene is not done dealing with the witches. Not by a long shot.
* Jason will start off the season as Sheriff's Deputy and caretaker of Hotshot -- the were-panther community. "If anyone should not have a sense of authority, should not be wielding a gun, should not be looking after an entire village of meth-addicts, it's Jason Stackhouse," said Ryan Kwanten. Crystal Norris will be back, but there is another love interest in store for Jason this year. And even though it was part of Book 3, "Club Dead," and therefore could have been a part of Season 3, this will be the year when Jason gets bit and turned a were-panther. Dexter's Courtney Ford has also joined the gang this year, playing Andy's lovely lawyer sister, Portia. A role that reportedly requires nudity. Who will she be getting naked with? Could it be her hapless brother's hapless deputy?
* King Russell WILL be back at some point, but probably not this year. "We specifically made the choice not to kill him," Ball said. "He will be back at some point and we definitely have plans to bring him back."
* True Blood's most lovable couple, Hoyt and Jessica, will start off the season coming to the hard realization that things might not work out for them. "The fairy tale can't go on forever," actress Deborah Ann Woll said. "But maybe reality is better than a fairy tale," she continued. "For both of us it was about being young and experienced and scared of the world."
* Despite a bit of talk about the character of Bubba (brain-dead vampire Elvis) at Comic-Con, and a few chants for actor Bruce Campbell to play the role, Ball told us that, as established now as the show is, he could not come to terms with how to bring Bubba to the screen.
This next season needs to be better than the CLUSTERFUCK that was season 3. Alan Ball did not handle different storylines well last season. He was all over the place with the characters! I dont understand why he sucked so hard at it tho since he did it so well with with Six Feet Under.
Oh and HOYT AND JESSICA OVER?!?!??!