Wow, wow, wow! The season 5 finale of Lost just blew me away. This might have been the best finale of Lost yet and that is really saying something. So much happened in this two hour episode that it is almost impossible to organize my thoughts. I will try to do my best:
1. We finally got to see Jacob! In 1845, we see that Jacob lives under the statute. We see him sitting by it, and it is still in one piece. Another man sits with him and they disagree about the incoming ship. The man, says they come, fight, destroy, corrupt, it always ends the same. Jacob then says that it only ends once, anything before that is just progress. The other man tells Jacob that he wants to kill him and what one day he will find a loophole. Jacob says, when you do, I'll be right here.
2. Jacob met all of the Oceanic regulars that are still alive. He gave advice to young Sawyer and Kate and an adult Jack. He seemed to save Locke's life when he was thrown from the window (the doctor's had said that it was a miracle that he lived), he congratulated Jin and Sun in perfect Korean at their wedding and he helped Hurley get back to the island with what I assume is Charlie's guitar case. The only one that Jacob hurt was Sayid by helping Nadia die and I am sure that was probably part of a plan to get Sayid back to the island.
3. When Richard questioned Locke about coming back to life, he said that it was Jacob that prevented him from aging. Is this true, and if so, how does Jacob do this?
4. When Sun and the Others stop at the survivor's camp at the beach, Sun saw Aaron's crib and Charlie's Drive Shaft (DS) ring.
5. Illana, Bram and crew tell Frank that they are friends and that "they are the good guys" as Ben always said. Then they show him what is in the box, which we don't see until the end of the episode - Locke's dead body.
6. Locke insists to Richard that Ben go in with him into the statute to see Jacob. Richard opened the door and said "tell him I say hello" and left. Locke gave Ben a knife.
7. When Illana and group arrive at the Statute she asks for Ricardos (Richard). She says "What lies in the shadow of the statute?" His answer in Latin is "he who will protect/save us all" and it appears to be the right answer from the look of relief on Bram and Illana's face. They show Richard and Sun Locke's dead body.
8. Locke and Ben see Jacob and he says, "so you found your loophole" and Locke says "indeed I did, and you have no idea what I've gone through to be here". That is when we know that this man that looks like Locke is really the man from the beginning that wants to kill Jacob. Jacob tells Ben that he has a choice but When Ben asks Jacob why he wouldn't meet with him before, Jacob doesn't make any attempt to lie to save himself. Ben stabs Jacob and then when Jacob says "they're coming" Locke kicks him into the fire to burn.
9. When Sawyer, Juliet and Kate reached shore from the sub, Vincent came running out of the woods. Right behind, lo and behold, came Rose and Bernard! They had been living peacefully by the shore the whole time.
10. Ben's dad shot Sayid? He was in pretty bad shape by the end of the episode.
11. Sawyer and Jack had a heart to heart talk and then almost kill each other fighting. Sawyer told Jack about his parents dying and the con man. Jack tells Sawyer about losing Kate. Jack asks why Sawyer didn't stop his dad while he was back in time. Sawyer said "Whats done is done". Sawyer reminds Jack that him and Kate will be strangers and she will be in handcuffs. Jack "if its meant to be, its meant to be".
12. Miles said something that didn't occur to anyone and that could be right "Has it occurred to any of you that your buddy is actually going to cause the thing he is trying to prevent. Perhaps the nuke is the incident". That would certainly be ironic if that was the case.
13. When Sawyer asked Juliet if they should go help Jack when they see Phil on his way to the Swan, Juliet says "Live together, die alone".
14. During the big shootout Jack dropped the bomb into the hatch. They were all anxious and scared for the explosion but it didn't occur. Then things got crazy and everything nearby was being pulled into the hatch. Miles rescued his dad.
15. Juliet got pulled down into the hatch. Kate and Sawyer try to pull her out, Sawyer held on for as long as he could yelling "don't leave me" the whole time. Juliet finally saw how much he cared. She dropped to bottom. Sawyer was desolate. Saddest death on lost!!
16. Juliet somehow didn't die on impact. According to Sayid the bomb was rigged to explode on impact. Juliet managed to grab the bomb and bash a rock into it until it exploded.
17. Ben to Sun about Locke "I said he was the leader, I title that I've discovered is incredibly temporary".
18. Ben to Locke when asked why he didn't tell Richard his plans "If by plans you mean murder, I assumed you'd want to keep that a secret."
19. Rose's answer to why they didn't want to join Dharma with Sawyer and others "Because we're retired". LOL Loved that line.
20. From funny to heartwarming: Bernard, "so we die. We just care about being together. Thats all that matters in the end".
21. Frank to Bram "my experience, people that go out of their way to tell you they are the good guys are the bad guys".
22. Locke to Ben, "Mind if I ask you a question" Ben, "I'm a Pisces". Another funny gem from Ben.
23. Sawyer, when the bomb didn't explode "This don't look like LAX".
24. Jacob was reading a Flanney O'Connor book "Everything that rises must converge" while sitting on a bench outside the window that Locke gets pushed out of.
25. The Lost title at the end of the finale was a white background with black print, which is the opposite of the normal Lost title used at the beginning of each episode.
26. Sawyer called Miles Enos, from the Dukes of Hazzard.
27. As a child, Kate stole a New Kids on the Block lunch box. The New Kids on the Block have recently made a comeback.
28. How did the statue get destroyed?
29. Who is the man from the beginning that uses Locke's body and how does he do so?
30. So, does this mean that Locke is really dead?
31. Is this the end of Juliet? Even if Jack's plan works, it should only affect the lives of the passengers of Oceanic 815.
32. Sayid is dying, but if everything is changed like Jack is trying to do, will he be alive again?
33. If Jack's plan works, will Charlie, Boone, etc. all be alive again next season?
34. How do Jacob and Illana know each other?
35. If Jacob really did prevent Richard from aging, what will happen to Richard if Jacob is really dead?
36. How has Jacob lived so long?
37. Biggest Theory/Question - It appears to have been Jacob's plan for years to get Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Locke, Sayid, Hurley, Sun and Jin to the Island. If that is so, then it was not just an accident that their plane crashed. Does that mean that no matter what Jack does, even if Desmond never has to push the buttons, that these people are all destined to wind up on this Island anyway?