the girls call me ant_flow (mike_hawk) wrote in ohnotheydidnt,
the girls call me ant_flow

MTV Cribs... WTF Edition

Who bought this mansion for $3,450,000?

First, a little history lesson about this house from our good friend Wikipedia:

In 1833, after several neighbors allegedly saw her cowhiding a young servant girl in the mansion's courtyard, rumors began to spread around town that Mme. LaLaurie treated her servants viciously. According to one tale, a young slave girl had been brushing Mme. LaLaurie's hair in the upstairs bedroom when the young servant hit a snag in her mistress's hair, causing LaLaurie to become enraged. Mme. LaLaurie whipped the twelve year old slave girl, who tried to escape but fell off a balcony overlooking the courtyard, ending her life. The girl was quickly brought into the LaLaurie Mansion, but not before being observed by neighbors, who would file a complaint. The neighbors would later assert that the young girl was buried under a tree in the yard.

On April 10, 1834, during another party, a fire broke out in the kitchen of the mansion. The firemen entered the building through the courtyard. To their surprise, there were two slaves chained to the stove in the kitchen. It appeared as though the slaves had set the fire themselves in order to attract attention. The fire itself was soon subdued.

However, the biggest surprise was to be found in the attic, where the fire brigade was directed by the other slaves. The door was bolted, forcing the fire brigade to use a battering ram to open the door. Inside the crawlspace attic was the stench of death. According to contemporary accounts, over a dozen disfigured and maimed slaves were manacled to the walls or floor. Several had allegedly been the subject of gruesome medical experiments.

The exact details are unclear; owing to the horrific nature of the crime, many details were either swept under the rug or embellished. One man looked as though he had been victim of some bizarre makeshift sex change. Another one had a hole in his head where a stick had been inserted to "stir his brains". A woman was trapped inside a small cage where her arms and legs had been badly broken and then reset at odd angles, making her appear as some sort of "human crab." Another woman had her arms and legs removed and patches of her flesh had been sliced off in a circular motion to make her appear as a giant caterpillar. Some had their mouths sewn shut and had then starved to death. Others had their hands sewn to different parts of their bodies. One woman had her entrails pulled out of her stomach and was secured to the floor by her own intestines. A small boy of about twelve had the flesh on half of his face peeled back, revealing muscle, veins, and so forth. The wound had since been infested with disease and insects. Most of the victims were found dead. Those who were still alive, begged to be put out of their misery and died shortly after.

Also discovered in the attic were teacups and saucers, encrusted with a "red substance." There were several bottles lying about with what was assumed to be the same red substance. The substance in the bottles was later identified as blood.

So who bought this house?

Nicholas Cage!

And yes, it is haunted:

In 1882, the house became a conservatory of music and dancing school. The school was a failure when rumors spread about the owner of school and no one attended planned soiree and concert. The owner closed the school and rumor had it that the spirits of the LaLaurie house held a wild carnival to celebrate their triumph.

An apartment in the house was occupied by Joseph Edouard Vigne, thought to be a pauper, for a little more than 3 years. In 1892, Vigne was found dead upstairs, after black crepe was seen on the doors.

The house had become a tenement by 1920, with many reports of ghosts. The Consistory sold the house in 1942. It was turned into a bar, and taking advantage of the building's history, was called "Haunted Saloon". The owner knew many of the building's ghost stories and kept a record of strange things allegedly experienced by his patrons. It did relatively well with tourists, but locals eventually refused to patronize the place.

In 1949, the house became a furniture store, which did not do as well at that location. The owner allegedly discovered his merchandise was ruined on several occasions, covered with a foul liquid filth. Suspecting vandals, the owner claimed to have waited one night with a shotgun, hoping to catch the vandals in the act, only to discover at dawn that the furniture was once again ruined. He closed the place down shortly thereafter.

source 1, source 2

Recent Posts from This Community

  • Post a new comment


    Comments allowed for members only

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

← Ctrl ← Alt
Ctrl → Alt →
← Ctrl ← Alt
Ctrl → Alt →

Recent Posts from This Community