Critics consensus: Enlivened by writer-director James Gunn's singularly skewed vision, The Suicide Squad marks a funny, fast-paced rebound that plays to the source material's violent, anarchic strengths.
I know this is from reddit but I thought this could be a fun post, so reddit user Jayshozie asked "(what's)THE Best Book You Have Ever Read" and it got over 1,400 comments, I picked some at random but if you wanna read the full thread you can click on the source.
- The Secret History by Donna Tartt About: Under the influence of their charismatic classics professor, a group of clever, eccentric misfits at an elite New England college discover a way of thinking and living that is a world away from the humdrum existence of their contemporaries. But when they go beyond the boundaries of normal morality they slip gradually from obsession to corruption and betrayal, and at last - inexorably - into evil.
- Cats Cradle- by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. About: Told with deadpan humour and bitter irony, Kurt Vonnegut's cult tale of global destruction preys on our deepest fears of witnessing Armageddon and, worse still, surviving it ...
Dr Felix Hoenikker, one of the founding 'fathers' of the atomic bomb, has left a deadly legacy to the world. For he's the inventor of 'ice-nine', a lethal chemical capable of freezing the entire planet. The search for its whereabouts leads to Hoenikker's three ecentric children, to a crazed dictator in the Caribbean, to madness. Felix Hoenikker's Death Wish comes true when his last, fatal gift to humankind brings about the end, that for all of us, is nigh...
The 7 Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid About: Aging and reclusive Hollywood movie icon Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life. But when she chooses unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant for the job, no one is more astounded than Monique herself. Why her? Why now?
Monique is not exactly on top of the world. Her husband has left her, and her professional life is going nowhere. Regardless of why Evelyn has selected her to write her biography, Monique is determined to use this opportunity to jumpstart her career.
Summoned to Evelyn’s luxurious apartment, Monique listens in fascination as the actress tells her story. From making her way to Los Angeles in the 1950s to her decision to leave show business in the ‘80s, and, of course, the seven husbands along the way, Evelyn unspools a tale of ruthless ambition, unexpected friendship, and a great forbidden love. Monique begins to feel a very real connection to the legendary star, but as Evelyn’s story near its conclusion, it becomes clear that her life intersects with Monique’s own in tragic and irreversible ways.
The Saweetie Meal includes a Big Mac, 4-piece Chicken McNuggets, medium World Famous Fries, a medium Sprite, Tangy BBQ Sauce, and “Saweetie ‘N Sour” sauce. Customers can mix and match their sauces and combos the same way Saweetie does.
-The mystery of "which 2000s celebrity is this?" has yet to be solved -The source recaps the case -They also point out that we can't even figure out if it's a male or female celebrity -In case you missed my last post on this, there is now a subreddit devoted to finding this celebrity's identity: r/CelebrityNumberSix/
A Reddit user discovered that Seinfeld is set in a world in which the laws of physics don't apply to real estate. Throughout 9 seasons, Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer didn't notice that when they walked out of Jerry's apartment and turned right through the corridor, they then proceeded to walk through the space that their kitchen was supposed to occupy. There are many scenes set in the hallway that show it goes right through where the kitchen was supposed to be.
Users have been drawing diagrams, floor plans and analyzing scenes to make it make sense, to no avail. With people now comparing the apartment to the overlook hotel, the main antagonist of Stephen king's the shining.
“There are no current plans for the next series of The X Factor at this stage,” ITV said in a statement to ITV News.
Created by Cowell and produced by Fremantle’s Thames banner and Cowell’s production company Syco, The X Factor has aired over 15 seasons and 445 episodes. It launched Leona Lewis, One Direction and revived Cheryl Cole's solo career.
Today AD is welcomed to Austin, Texas by Jared and Genevieve Padalecki for a look inside their bustling family farmhouse. Purchased in 2012, the stars of The CW's "Walker" have spent the ensuing years gradually creating their ideal modern farmhouse. Working with designer Virginia Davidson, the property underwent a full gut renovation to become the home they now enjoy with their three children (as well as numerous dogs, chickens, mini horses, and even bees.)
It's rumored that the studio has been eyeing Jodie Turner-Smith for the role of Calypso.
Calypso is an integral part of Kraven's origin story, specifically his enhanced abilities including strength, speed, durability, and radically slowing his aging.
She is an occasional lover and partner to him, and both are not big fans of Spider-Man. Calypso is a psychopathic Voodoo Priestess who utilizes magic potions in her arsenal and loves to drive Kraven into fits of rage for fun.
Aaron Taylor-Johnson had been cast in the titular role. Kraven the Hunter will reportedly release on January 13, 2023.
This weekend features one of ONTD’s most anticipated films of the year, and no, it’s not Jungle Cruise. David Lowery’s The Green Knight finally gets a North American release, though it looks like the UK will have to wait a little while longer. Read on to see what else will be available this weekend.
The films listed are from studios other than the “Big Six” - Paramount, Warner Brothers, 20th Century Fox, Universal, Columbia/Sony and Disney. Note that some of the movies listed are in their first week or two of limited release in the USA, so it may take them a few more weeks (or months) to show up in your local arthouse theater or on VOD. Check out the posts from the past few weeks for more movies that may have just opened near you: July 23rd, July 16th, and July 9th.
Stars: Dev Patel, Alicia Vikander, Joel Edgerton, Sarita Choudhury Writer/Director: David Lowery Genre: Adventure, Drama, Fantasy Plot: King Arthur's headstrong nephew embarks on a daring quest to confront the Green Knight, a mysterious giant who appears at Camelot. Risking his head, he sets off on an epic adventure to prove himself before his family and court. What you should know: Based on Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Where to watch: In theaters
In this biting animated satire, seven-year-old Prince George (Gary Janetti) – youngest heir to the British throne – spills all the royal “tea” on Buckingham Palace’s residents and staff. Streaming July 29th on HBO Max.
-In the most recent season of Big Brother it brought about the most diverse cast in Big Brother history with half the house being POC and 5 of them being black.
-They have come together and call themselves 'The Cookout' and now some pale Big Brother fans are calling the alliance racist as The Cookout is only made up of the black houseguests and everyone outside of the alliance are their targets.
-People are trying to state if an all white alliance was formed and targeted black houseguests they'd be labeled as racist themselves.
-In a surprise turn, former BB19 star Cody Nickson defended the alliance stating "“No. They don’t hate white people, that’s an absurd stretch, They came together based on trust, not on hate. You’ve seen a lot of white alliances on the show… you’d have to judge them with the same measure. In society we see people we trust and we go towards them. If I’m in a large group and I see a bunch of Marine Corps Infantrymen standing together, I would go right to them.”
• In early 2019 the New Your Times published an expose on Adams. Multiple women, including ex-wife Mandy Moore and rising indie star Phoebe Bridgers, spoke about the abuse and sexual misconduct they suffered through during their relationship with Adams. The article also led to the FBI launching an investigation against Adams a few weeks later, due to allegations that he had engaged in sexually explicit conversations with an underage fan (the article states that no updates for the investigation have been reported publicly).
• Adams "apologized" in an open letter over a year later in July of 2020, and since then he has self-released two albums on his Pax Am label. One of those albums, Big Colors had been slated for a 2019 release but was pulled by Capitol Records after the NYT piece came out, and Adams was subsequently dropped. Websites that had been noted supporters of Adams music like Pitchfork and Stereogum did not review either albums and didn't even acknowledge their release. The albums failed to chart in the US. In comparison, his previous album, 2017s Prisoner hit number 8 on the Billboard 200 and landed on many year end 'best of' lists.
• In a series of now deleted Instagram post Adams lamented his inability to be signed by a label and asked for anyone to sign him: “I know I’m damaged goods. I know I am and they aren’t the ideal thing, but I had a label interested for months and they wasted my time. I’m months from losing my label, studio and my home. I just really want a second chance to make some music – maybe help other people believe you can get up out of the gutter and be something. I’m 46 and scared I’m gonna be living in my sisters basement. If you are a label and interested please let me know. Sent with love and humility. I already got dropped by Capitol twice. Maybe someone still cares. Please if someone takes a chance on me and this music I’ll bust my ass to support it. Sorry to sound desperate.”
• One post claims that he has several albums done, he just needs a record label's help in releasing them. He includes Blackhole, which he previously described as "the last record I made when I was on drugs" but now says that it's an album about his divorce from Mandy Moore. According to Variety this post included snippets of lyrics and a sound file.
• Adams went on to claim that he did not own his masters, and talked about finding a publisher to make coffee table books out of his handwritten lyrics to old material.
• Though many fans have now become ex-fans, those still left commented suggestions for Adams to turn to like crowd funding and Patreon instead of trying to find a new label.
• Adams made another Instagram post yesterday to denounce the Variety article. He noted that his publicist quit, and that he feels that they are exploiting his current situation, while ignoring his work.
- BBC confirmed that Jodie Whittaker (and Showrunner Chris Chibnall) are officially leaving 'DOCTOR WHO' next year. - The show will release Season 13 later this year, and next year Jodie will star in 3 film-length specials (like Tennant). The first one will air on January 2022, the second one on Easter and the third one on Fall 2022 as par of the BBC Centennial anniversary. No word yet what shape or form the show will have for 2023, for the 60th anniversary. - The show faced a lot of criticism from fans due to a twist where they changed canon and [Spoiler (click to open)]turns out the 12 doctors we've met are not really the first, but the doctor had millions of regenerations before cause she's a special being. - While this means Jodie has stayed for 3 seasons (same as Tennant, Capaldi and Smith), Chibnall becomes the showrunner that has stayed on the show for the least amount of time.
WSJ: Scarlett Johansson filed a lawsuit Thursday against $DIS, alleging her contract was breached “when the media giant released the film on its Disney+ streaming service at the same time as its theatrical debut.” https://t.co/lTjtxZXExS
Scarlett Johansson has filed a lawsuit against Disney over the release of Black Widow in what she is calling a breach of contract.
The lawsuit states that ScarJo's contract with the studio guaranteed an exclusive theater release of her films and that her salary was largely based on box office performance of said films. The lawsuit also states that Disney intentionally breached the agreement, without justification, when they gave Black Widow a hybrid theater and Disney+ release.
Source also states ScarJo's team reached out in 2019, before the pandemic even started, to get assurance that the film would go to theaters only and not get put on Disney+. Disney said it would follow a traditional release model and that they would discuss her deal if plans were to change. When it did and the team went to Disney and Marvel, they received no response.
Sources say ScarJo is projected to lose $50+ million due to the hybrid release.
Warners recently paid its talent $200+ million after it decided to release its 2021 films in theaters and HBO Max at the same time.
Up and coming singer has had an stellar rise to fame this year, but recently has been accused of constantly using black slang and talking in a black accent in several recently viral clips.
In the resurfaced compilation, the singer can be seen on Instagram livestreams interacting with her fans using phrases of African American vernacular English, such as “I be trending” and “emotional AF” while also adopting contractions like “y’all” and “imma” and speaking in the referred accent.
The clips were from earlier this year. Also some tweets from last year with a similar style have been making the rounds.
Phil Tippett, an Oscar-winning VFX artist who worked on RoboCop and Star Wars and was the dinosaur supervisor for the original Jurassic Park, has been developing a feature length stop-motion film of his own for more than 30 years. Two days ago, Tippett announced its completion and released a teaser trailer. Titled Mad God, the experimental film is "set in a Miltonesque world of monsters, mad scientists, and war pigs." All sets, creatures, and environments were conceived by Tippett and handcrafted & shot at his studio in northern California.
Mad God will premiere at the Locarno Film Festival in Switzerland on August 5th. Additional festival dates and screenings (both in-person and virtual) will be announced in the near future.
A one-of-kind kinkajou (Lin-Manuel Miranda, "ONTD Fave"), embarks on an unforgettable, musical adventure to deliver a love song to Marta (voiced by Gloria Estefan) on behalf of his owner Andrés (Buena Vista Social Club’s Juan De Marcos).
Also stars Zoe Saldaña (Haven't heard from her in a while...)newcomer Ynairaly Simo, Michael Rooker, Katie Lowes, Olivia Trujillo & Lidya Jewett as a trio of well-meaning but overzealous scout troopers, Brian Tyree Henry ("Marvel's The Eternals") & Nicole Byer ("Nailed It!"), and Leslie David Baker.
Joshua Jackson reaffirms there will be no Dawson's Creek revival. "I don’t know why you’d want to [bring it back]. Nobody needs to know what those characters are doing in middle age. We left them in a nice place. Nobody needs to see that Pacey’s back hurts." He also quips that people binge watching the show now are watching a costume drama.
He feels this time of his career, appearing in many critically acclaimed projects, is the pay-off era of a 30+ year career. He does regret not being more choosy with his projects directly after Dawson's Creek.
Starring in the 2005 David Mamet play A Life In The Theatre opposite Sir Patrick Stewart on the West End was a turning point of his career. It reminded him he enjoyed acting and wanted to focus on working on good material with good people.
Although born in Vancouver (and moved back following his parent's divorce), he was raised in Topanga, California until he was eight. He bought his 4bd/2-story childhood home in 2001 for about $800k. "My father unfortunately was not a good father or a husband and exited the scene, but that house in Topanga was where everything felt simple, so it was a very healing thing for me to do."
A huge SHANG-CHI leak has happened and key images of the film’s climax have leaked online revealing… [Spoiler (click to open)]
- the return of Iron Man 3 character Trevor Slattery, who played the fake Mandarin. He actually joins Shang Chi and is dressed as one of their army on their fight, next to Michelle Yeoh. - You can also see Michelle Yeoh in the final battle (contradicting rumors that she dies early on the film) - also, the great protector dragon comes out to fight!
Critic Tim Grierson tweeted yesterday that he really loved the new Suicide Squad film from James Gunn that is being released next week. As expected, talk soon turned to David Ayer's trashed 2016 version and the talk of the Ayer Cut, which Grierson thinks Ayer should abandon.
All of it clearly got to Ayer, as he wrote a completely unhinged rant as a response.
In it, he mentions his fathers suicide, doing "hoodrat shit" as a kid, being saved by the Navy, writing the Training Day script, and that the studio cut of SS is not his film.... all to say he has no quit in him. Ayer also mentions he'd rather get shot at then talk about his side of the story regarding what happened with SS.
In the end, he says he is excited for James and the rest of the cast/crew and will no longer speak publicly about the matter.
PBS has announced that it will stop airing "Arthur" after 25 seasons. This legendary children's cartoon is known for its clever humor and infinite memes. However, it is also known for something else...being absolutely fucking savage.
Thus, it is prime for a dark, gritty live-action reboot. Prepare yourself for...
Arthur Read played by Cole Sprouse
Arthur is the audience's eyes and aardvark ears into the seedy underbelly of Elwood City. We see him cope with his overbearing parents and sociopathic little sister. We accompany him to school, where all the students act like animals. He learns that you have to fight to stay alive...even if it means using your fist sometimes.
20 year old An San, part of the Gold medal winning women's archer team and mixed archer's team, at Tokyo Olympics 2020, has been facing misogynistic attacks from Korean incels, because, she cut her hair short. Yes, you read it right. Apparently, if a woman cuts their hair short and is a fan of Mamamoo, a kpop girl group, they are a feminist. Feminism is the greatest crime that a South Korean woman can commit, as per the easily harassed egos of Korean men. They have asked her to return her gold medal (lol), but most worryingly, they have started a witch hunt against her, calling up Korean Archery Association. Korean women started sharing their own short hair photos to support her.
Disney has issued a response to Scarlett Johansson's #BlackWidow lawsuit: “There is no merit whatsoever to this...the lawsuit is especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the COVID-19 pandemic" https://t.co/cW96WSpYhupic.twitter.com/NK8axFyTLL
Disney has responded to Scarlett Johansson's lawsuit for breach of contract.
Disney, guns blazing, stated “There is no merit whatsoever to this filing. The lawsuit is especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Disney has fully complied with Ms. Johansson’s contract and furthermore, the release of Black Widow on Disney+ with Premier Access has significantly enhanced her ability to earn additional compensation on top of the $20M she has received to date.”
They talked about the name of Bell’s daughter: Delta. With the rise in the coronavirus Delta variant around the world, how does she feel about Delta’s name being Delta right now?
She is hoping that the Delta variant won’t be as strong as the original COVID and people will still say corona. Her daughter Delta is still too young to feel the negative impact of sharing a name with a deadly virus.
She’s impressed every time she sees a Delta Airlines ad or anything. Every time she hears anyone talk about the variant, she’s like ‘My name!’
It's Thirsty Thursday as we continue to respectfully look at the Olympic athletes here on ONTD. Primetime coverage will begin on NBC at 8pm EDT, and the live events run from approx 8:30am-10pm JST, 12:30am-2pm BST, 7:30pm-9am EDT, and 4:30pm-6am PDT.
Now's the time. Now's her moment. @sunisalee_ is living her dream.
Actor Ben Stiller and Destry Spielberg, filmmaker and daughter of Steven Spielberg, took to Twitter to downplay the impact of Hollywood nepotism in a debate with The Black List founder Franklin Leonard.
On Tuesday, Leonard responded to a tweet announcing the cast of the short film “The Rightway.” It is directed by Steven Spielberg’s daughter, Destry, and written by Stephen King’s son, Owen. The short film is also set to star Sean Penn’s son, Hopper Penn.
“Hollywood’s a meritocracy, right?” Leonard said, pointing out that three of the people involved are the children of nepotism.
Alex Rodriguez and sports reporter Melanie Collins were spotted visiting stores in St. Tropez just two hours after his ex-fiancée Jennifer Lopez hit the very same shops. Rodriguez has been spotted yachting all around Europe with bikini ladies for his 46th birthday as Jennifer stayed loved up with Ben Affleck for her 52nd birthday.
His alleged attempts to run into Jennifer nearly worked when Jennifer's assistant was forced to quickly cancel reservations at a St Tropez restaurant after discovering ARod was there.
Madonna is the latest A-lister to come for relative nobody DaBaby, after the "rapper" made headlines for a series of homophobic and sexist remarks made onstage at Rolling Loud Miami last weekend.
In a message posted to her official Instagram page, Madonna, 62, encouraged the 29 year old to "know his facts" before making "hateful remarks to the LGBTQ+ community about HIV/AIDS," writing:
"After decades of hard-won scientific research, there are lifesaving medicines [antiretrovirals, or ARVs] available to children born with HIV, to people who contract HIV through blood transfusions, dirty needles or exchange of bodily fluids... AIDS is not transmitted by standing next to someone in a crowd. I want to put my 'cellphone lighter' up and pray for your ignorance."
She went on to admonish DaBaby for his "sexist remarks about ladies whose pussies need to smell like water," concluding that "people like you are the reason we are still living in a world divided by fear."
- “See How They Run” stars Sam Rockwell, Saoirse Ronan, David Oyelowo, Adrien Brody and Ruth Wilson with Harris Dickinson, Sian Clifford, Jacob Fortune-Lloyd, Shirley Henderson, Reece Shearsmith, Paul Chahidi, Pearl Chanda, Charlie Cooper and Pippa Bennett-Warner.
- “Set in 1950s London's West End, plans for a movie version of a smash-hit play come to an abrupt halt after a pivotal member of the crew is murdered. When world-weary Inspector Stoppard (Rockwell) and eager rookie Constable Stalker (Ronan) take on the case, the two find themselves thrown into a puzzling whodunit within the glamorously sordid theater underground, investigating the mysterious homicide at their own peril.”
- Directed by Tom George and written by Mark Chappell, the film is set for a 2022 release.
God is a woman is available online today and in stores Aug 1st. The perfume’s notes include Ambrette, Juicy Pear, Orris, Turkish Rose Petals, Madagascar Vanilla and Cedarwood. A selling point is the fragrance is vegan, cruelty free, and 91% derived from natural ingredients.