-Issa spoke to Essence on location of her upcoming romantic comedy "The Lovebirds"
- A tweet made her see herself in a way she had never allowed herself before."In my mind I'm just like, I've got to lose weight. I've been wanting to lose weight all these years and been basically pussy footing around. I really need to step it up. The tv show gave me an excuse".That outlook changed recently."I was looking through tweets a few months ago and these girls were shading me, but back handed complimenting me about how wack I was". One of the tweets said "And that stupid b*tch! If I looked like her I would never feel insecure! Rae:"And I was like what"?!
- She was born Jo-Issa Rae Diop. Her parents met in France while in school. She has four siblings.
-Says her parents helped and hurt her with her thoughts on her looks as a kid. Her mother from Louisiana was very pro black and her father from Senegal, where they lived for a time, surrounded her with cousins that were dark skinned and were considerd the beauty norm.
-In middle school the family moved to the upscale L.A. neighborhood of View Park - Windsor Hills, where she was deemed to dark and big.She felt her light skinned mother could not relate.
- She focused on being smart, accomplished and respected, relizing that there is no point in valuing the physical because it was not going to get her anywhere with the type of guys she liked that did not like her.
- She was into very cool type muscular guys in school. She stopped caring about guys who did not care about her and is flippant about guys and dating in general now.
- Her lack of a social life helped her career." When you don't have much to do, or you don't have plans on a Friday night,you make up a character that does. That was an outlet for me. I fantasized all the time about having a different life. That manifested in creating characters, worlds and scenarios.
- She would look at magazines as a kid content that her face would never sell makeup. Now she is a Covergirl." I just did'nt imagine that. Never discount anything. I think many of us become comfortable with what we are and are not and complaccent with what we're not. You dont have to be. Something that felt intangible became tangible. Thats the coolest thing in the world.
-She's proud that Insecure helps make Black girls and women be seen, like how the charecter Laura from the tv sitcom ,Family matters, who was pretty, popular and smart made her feel growing up. The actress that played Laura is named Kellie Shanygne Williams.
The film Little comes out April 12th