- Struggled with overcoming denial, heteronormativity and internalised homophobia.- Not bi, not pan, but gay.
- Gay sob for her was making peace with herself being a lesbian and being joyful about it.
- Stifled a scream of horror the first time she saw a penis (same, those things are ugly)
- Read Audre Lorde poems in high school and admired Frida Kahlo and Prince for the way they aproached gender and sexuality
- We need more black lesbian representation in media.
- Wet herself while watching Zoe Saldana and Mila Kunis in After Sex when she was a kid (we've all been there)
- Is working in her voice and violin, writing a script and has two films coming out this year.
- Plays the main in The Hate U Give (based on the novel by Audrey Wells), that follows Starr Carter, a 16 years old girl drawn to activism after she witnesses the police shooting of her unarmed friend.- Black Lives Matter. Black children are not criminals. Black girls are magic.Source
I apologize for being wary of her being gay, this interview clear everything. Congrats to her for being fully out and proud!