- In August 2016 Aya Jones was jet skiing in Thailand with her boyfriend when a boat carrying hotel passengers crashed into her, puncturing her lung & stomach and fracturing her cranium, pelvis, leg & arm
- she doesn't remember the incident at all; the next thing she remembers is waking up in a Bangkok hotel 2 weeks later, surrounded by her family, after being flown in from Ko Samui
- her friends still sent happy birthday messages, unaware that she was on a respirator
- “My first thought was the unfairness of it all,” the model, now 23, said over lunch at a macrobiotic restaurant in SoHo. A faint shadow passes over the soft beauty of her heart-shaped face, with its bee-stung lips and the widely spaced eyes that give her the look of a wild fawn. “I thought, Why did this happen to me; why was I in that place on that day? And then I had a very strong feeling of revolt,” she says. “I wanted to fight and get over it.”
- she says she's "always been a bit ballsy" but after the accident has given up daredevil activites (eg, zip lining & ATVs)
- her friend Imaan Hammam visited her while she was hospitalized in Paris
- it took 5 months for her body to become strong enough to bear her weight & another 6 months of relearning to walk; her mother (a retired physical therapist) stayed by her side the whole time. She has metal rods in her arm & leg and bears scars from the accident. She has since resumed her career, returning to work on the 1-year anniversary of the accident. She & her boyfriend broke up during her recoverysource
have you ever defied death, ontd?