Starting July 17, all of Starz' original programming -- including Black Sails, Outlander, Ash vs Evil Dead and more -- will begin transitioning from Saturday to Sunday nights.
- This decision was made by former HBO chairman Chris Albrecht
- Sundays are "prestige nights" for TV, especially on premium channels
- These shows will now be competing against the likes of Game of Thrones
and The Walking Dead
- Starz originals are strong DVR performers, but are left out of the "Monday morning watercooler conversation" and do not generate enough online buzz by airing on Saturday
- The network will continue its push into year-round programming with new series including American Gods
and Alejandro G. Inarritu's The One Percent
- Saturdays on Starz will now be used for movie premieres
On that same note...When 'Game of Thrones' Ends, Starz Will Become The New HBO
Though Game of Thrones
was hugely groundbreaking in bringing fantasy to the mainstream, the series is steadily creeping closer to its' conclusion. When it ends, there will be a void left to fill, and Starz may be just the network to fill it. Between Black Sails
, which Inverse
names "television's best kept secret", Outlander, Ash vs Evil Dead
and 2017's American Gods
, Starz is positioning itself to take over as the leading premium network for fantasy television."While everyone was off watching HBO, Starz quietly became the place where the most innovative fantasy storytelling was fostered and encouraged. Their offerings respect their audiences and are keenly aware that straight white dudes are not the only ones watching. These shows don’t alienate that portion of viewers by any means, but rather follow the groundbreaking idea that fantasy fans consists of more than one kind of demographic."
(Lauren Sarner, Inverse
)( Collapse )source
, 6How do you feel about Starz' programming migrating into the big Sunday night lineup? Are you excited for Black Sails S4? Do you think Starz is going to become the new HBO?