Jon Stewart did an interview with former Obama advisor David Axelrod at The University of Chicago's Institute of Politics for the podcast "The Axe Files"; has gained beard, has not lost his edge.
- Points out that the Trump approach makes sense if viewed through the prism of fear-mongering talk radio according to which America is on the brink of being overcome by rapists & murders
- Says the media needs to be harder on people being assholes / can't just say "Here's what people are thinking" but should point out that what they're thinking is often not ok
- Doubts that Trump is even an eligible candidate, calls him a thin-skinned, unrepentant asshole who can't take a joke and "has the physical countenance of a man and a baby’s temperament and hands."
- On Clinton: "Who?" Is not impressed, thinks she's a "very bright woman without the courage of her convictions, because I’m not even sure what they are."
- Clinton is still preferable to Trump, at this point Jon would vote for Mr. T. over Trump
- Drags the GOP's cognitive dissonance of apocalyptic rhetoric & counterproductive actions in Congress
- Drags the Democrats for not being able to make government efficient or effective & failing to prove how the government could actually make a difference in people's lives, by which the door was left open for a demagogue like Trump
- Criticizes the political elite for being better at campaigning than actual governance
- Points out that comedy and satire are an artistic expression, but should not be mistaken for actual activism
- Does not miss TV, hopes to release a video series project on HBO in September but can't make any promises
- Will be voting
( Collapse )