Why Did Ricki Lake's Malibu Home Burn Down?
Not long after sun-up on Saturday morning, firefighters responded to a 911 call from the home of talk-show-maven-turned-filmmaker Ricki Lake, and found her safely at the side of a Malibu, Calif., road with her two sons and the family dog. The beachfront paradise she was renting, however, was completely destroyed by flames that began indoors (click here to see the damage
up close) and ultimately created a fire dangerous enough to shut down a portion of the Pacific Coast Highway.
Today, Lake's publicist tells PopEater
that the fire (which began yesterday at approximately 7:25 a.m.) "was very scary, but she and the boys are fine," which echoes Lake's latest tweet
: "Thank you everyone for your concern and well wishes...My sons, beloved dog and I are are safe and very grateful."
Meanwhile, the owners of the multimillion-dollar property were reportedly none too pleased to learn that Lake accidentally caused the fire while performing a mundane chore inside the house -- and a source even alleges to RadarOnline
that the star did little to stop the flames from spreading, instead spending precious minutes rescuing her personal belongings from the home. So, what really happened? "When our deputies arrived and contacted Ms. Lake, they determined initially through their investigation that she had been refueling some sort of portable heater, which had been next to a couch,
" said Lt. Rick Erickson of the L.A. County Sheriff's Dept., according to a local ABC
report. "Somehow that couch caught fire. She made an effort to put the fire out but apparently some embers remained and the couch continued to ignite and eventually set the house ablaze."
Witnesses reported 30-foot flames rising in the air from the home's roof at one point, and spotted firefighters cutting into residents' gates next door in order to contain the fire and keep it from spreading.
Capt. Larry Robideaux (L.A. County Fire Dept.) downplayed the drama, telling Radar, "Ms. Lake was refueling a portable heater inside her home and accidentally caused the fire...It took crews approximately ten minutes to extinguish the fire....This has been ruled as an accidental fire. Case closed."
Still, an insider close the the landlord insists, "This has really torn the [owner] apart. They feel that Ricki was negligent in trying to refill an outdoor heater indoors....The family doesn't understand why Ricki apparently made no attempt to put out the fire...She decided to move her cars....even bring out boxes of clothes as she watched the fire burn the house to the ground....They are talking to their lawyers about suing."
Just what daytime TV needs, a Ricki Lake comeback as she defends herself on Judge Judy! Seriously, the most important thing is that nobody was injured in what appears to have been a roaring inferno of a fire.
Above, the damage that the home saw (Source
ETA: Changed the pic since some people didn't know who it was about or that it wasn't about her weight lost...
tl'dr summary: she filled an outdoor heater inside next to a couch; shockingly, the couch caught on fire. It appears that rather than spending time with a fire extinguisher after getting her kids and dog out, she instead was carrying a box of clothing out and moving her car. Owner of the rental property is piss.