In a 2002 BBC interview, the author Eoin Colfer named Lawrence Guterman as the director. This has now been proven to be true, he has just recently been titled for director and more information will come as reported. Colfer said that he was "especially glad that they are going to be looking for an Irish Artemis.".
In a very recent 2007 AFC interview, Colfer stated the following:
I have been working intermittently on the screenplay for the past year with Jim Sheridan the Irish director. We have kept the heart of books one and two but I also wanted to do something cinematic and spectacular so we added a big exciting ending. No new characters but plenty of new one liners. I really love the story and we hope to go into production this Summer. No cast yet.
There are no yet confirmed actors, however some that have been considered are:
- Keira Knightley is being currently considered for the part of Holly Short.
- Nicholas Hoult was to play the part of Artemis Fowl II, but he grew too old for the part.
- Tom Felton had shown interest in playing Artemis Fowl II, but he is also now too old to play Artemis.
- Aidan Mitchell had shown interest in playing Artemis Fowl II.
- Jason Statham was to play Domovoi Butler.
- Steve Buscemi was cast as Foaly the Centaur.
- Rip Torn was to play Commander Julius Root.
- Eoin Colfer (the series's author) wanted to have cameo role as a Goblin. He claimed he could be like a "thinner Alfred Hitchcock," a reference to the director's famous cameos.
- Johnny Knoxville was considered to be playing the sprite Chix Verbil