went to tuscany for two weeks to write about succession s3 🤌 https://t.co/k3BNEUAAcV— hunter harris (@hunteryharris) August 30, 2021
Pop culture writer and interviewer extraordinaire Hunter Harris spent a couple of weeks in and around Tuscany with the cast of HBO's Succession as they shot the last couple of episodes of season three, which premieres in October. Some choice tidbits from that interview:
- Shooting in the Italian summer can be less glamourous than it sounds, as it requires repeating scene set-ups in full sun 95 degree weather, complete with wardrobe changes to less sweaty clothes and umbrellas for some temporary sunshade.
- The Italian crew working on the show had just worked on the Lady Gaga-starring House of Gucci.
- Many of the actors brought family along for the lengthy Italy shoot - Kieran Culkin brought his pregnant wife and kid, Brian Cox spent time sightseeing with his family, and J. Smith-Cameron brought her playwright husband Kenneth Longeran.
- The actors get into character in different ways - Kieran Culkin only likes to know what his character Roman would know, J. Smith-Cameron pays an actor friend to run lines with her, Sarah Snook runs lines with castmate Hiam Abbass, and Jeremy Strong tries to examine everything that makes Kendall tick (OP note: to a degree that sounds intensely annoying!!)
- People yell "Greg the Egg" at Nicholas Braun in the streets; he says he doesn't mind if fans project his character onto him, but is not entirely convincing.
- Culkin is the only cast member to add substantial improv to what's in the script, and some improvised flirtation between him and Smith-Cameron is what inspired the Roman-Gerri arc.
- Lots more, just read the article! It's great.