Lily Cole promoted her book and encouraged 'diversity' by wearing a burka, at the same time the Taliban were taking control of Kabul https://t.co/DRWyP90EPi— Metro Entertainment (@Metro_Ents) August 17, 2021
- British queer model Lily Cole released a book called "Who Care Wins: Reasons For Optimism in Our Changing World" and decided to don a burka to promote diversity.
- In a now deleted post, she wrote: "Let’s embrace diversity on every level: biodiversity; cultural diversity; diversity of thinking; diversity of voices; diversity of ideas."
- Meanwhile, right at the same time, Taliban forces took control of Kabul forcing Aghan women to wear burkas, abandon education, forbidding them from going outside without a male relative/husband as well as abducting girls as young as 12 to be married off.
- Lily Cole was slammed for her tone-deafness and accused of "white feminism".
- Cole has since apologized on an IG story: "This week I posted an old photo of me wearing a burqa loaned to me by a friend. As she pointed out I was undermining its original purpose by wearing it with my face exposed, but I understand why the image has upset people and want to sincerely apologize for any offence caused. I hadn't read the news at the time I posted so it was incredibly ill-timed (thank you for pointing that to me). My heart breaks reading what is happening in Afghanistan at the moment".
Her post and reactions under the cut:
Lily Cole & the vacuity of modern hashtag-feminism. Putting Instagram posturing before universal human rights. I bet Afghan women are celebrating the “diversity” of wearing this shroud. pic.twitter.com/5unfIZrqXg— Janice Turner (@VictoriaPeckham) August 16, 2021
You can make a donation to support Afghan women HERE.
sources: 1, 2, 3