Surprise 🤗 Tonight at midnight I’ll be releasing my 8th studio album, folklore; an entire brand new album of songs I’ve poured all of my whims, dreams, fears, and musings into. Pre-order at https://t.co/zSHpnhUlLb pic.twitter.com/4ZVGy4l23b— Taylor Swift (@taylorswift13) July 23, 2020
• Exactly one year ago today, Taylor Swift released her eighth studio album, folklore.
• Before this release, Taylor was known to operate on a two year album cycle and her latest album, Lover, was less than a year old. But in her announcement she wrote that the pandemic had shown her there was no perfect time to release music, and that she wanted to share what the isolation of the worldwide shutdown had inspired her to make.
• The album eschewed the maximalist pop sound that had become her trademark since the 1989 era, and worked with The National’s Aaron Dessner and longtime collaborator Jack Antonoff to produce songs with a more indie-tinged sound. She ended up collaborating with Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon and even wrote songs with her boyfriend Joe Alwyn (credited on the album as William Bowery).
• The album would go on to spend eight weeks at number one on the Billboard 200. She would also debut every song off the album on the Hot 100 chart, with ‘cardigan’ peaking at number one and ‘the 1’ and ‘exile’ debuting in the top ten.
• In September Taylor performed ‘betty’ at the Academy of Country Music Awards and shot a Disney+ special with Antonoff and Dessner. Folklore: The Long Pond Studio Sessions was released in late November and featured the trio performing every song off the album and discussing the effect the pandemic had on them and how they channeled that into their art.
• A few weeks later on December 11, Taylor announced the release of her ninth studio album, evermore, which she described as the “sister album” to folklore.
• On March 14, 2021 Taylor, Antonoff, and Dessner would perform a medley featuring ‘cardigan’ and ‘august’ from folklore, and ‘willow’ from evermore. At the end of the night folklore would win Album of the Year making Taylor the first female musician to ever win the award three times.
what's everyone's favorite song after a year? (and yes feel free to talk about the infamous folklore listening post lol)
ts/cardigan mv/the 1 mv/exile mv/betty performance/august performance/ts2/grammy performance