- Victor Sorrentino is a Brazilian doctor and influencer with over a million Instagram followers.
- He is in Egypt with some buddies and they went to a bazaar. He went over to a saleswoman in the papyrus stall and began filming her while making sexual comments in Portuguese, which she didn't understand, while he and his friends laughed as she smiled and confusedly agreed. He posted the video on his public instagram.
- Some of Victor Sorrentino's followers downloaded the video, added subtitles in English and Arabic and began spreading it among women's rights campaigners, other influencers, Facebook pages and journalists. It quickly went viral in Brazil and Egypt, with people from other countries also helping. Soon the authorities in Egypt got word of the situation.
- Scared of the consequences of his own actions, Victor went back to the bazaar to talk (in Portuguese) to the saleswoman again. He filmed it again. Laughing, he explained it was "only a joke", and that he's just a "joker" kind of guy. He also touched her in the shoulders and arms while talking to her this time, a BIG no-no in Egypt, which ended up angering some women's campaigners even more.
- He then tried to get on a flight out of Egypt, but was stopped by authorities and taken for questioning. The police also located the saleswoman and asked if she was interested in taking the case against him forward, which she confirmed she was.
- The prosecutors in Egypt considered that he exposed the victim to ridicule and sexual innuendo with his words, trangressed Egyptian society's values and family principles, and violated the victim's privacy by using his social media to commit these crimes.
- His wife wrote an Instagram post saying he's a great guy, a family man, he didn't do anything wrong and people were being mean and twisting his words. After 4 days of detainment, she changed her tune and (along with his parents and siblings) submitted an official apology to the saleswoman and the Egyptian people, pledging to make up for the moral and material injuries committed.
- He is still detained and has been included on a list of people forbidden to leave the country.
how do you behave when you're abroad, ONTD?