Olivia Rodrigo: ‘I’m a teenage girl. I feel heartbreak and longing really intensely’ https://t.co/ls3syiXiqi— Guardian G2 (@guardiang2) May 7, 2021
• The drivers license singer starts the interview talking about how she's still balancing schoolwork with acting, and recording and promoting her debut album. Said that shooting High School Musical: The Musical: The Series was as close as she ever got to getting the real high school experience and feared that she was missing out on normal life experiences.
• Some of the songs on the album were written in between shooting scenes for season two of the show.
• Talks about her frustration over 'sexist criticism' over her first two singles. Olivia says, "I’m a teenage girl, I write about stuff that I feel really intensely – and I feel heartbreak and longing really intensely – and I think that’s authentic and natural. I don’t really understand what people want me to write about"
• Started meeting with labels in early 2020 after the song she wrote for HSM went viral on TikTok, but ended up signing with Interscope/Geffin because they praised her songwriting instead of her 'potential star quality' and was inspired by Taylor Swift to negotiate for ownership of her master recordings.
• Is asked if she feels looked after by Disney but Olivia avoids the question. Has two years left on her HSM contract, but admits that she wants to focus her attention completely on her music.