15 Groundbreaking TV Show Moments That Were Actually A Really Big Deal When They Aired https://t.co/zVY8X4EkBL— Guncelkal.net (@guncelkalnet) April 23, 2021
-There's always a first for everything and these moments shook tv audiences at the time.
-5 moments (read the rest at the link) that were groundbreaking at the time of airing were:
- Maude starring Bea Arthur - Picture it, 1972, Maude is 47 years old and unexpectedly gets pregnant. In the end the character decides to go through with an abortion. It was a touchy subject back then and fast forward to today and it's still something that is rarely discussed on television and is even hotter topic in real life.
- Star Trek - It's 1968 and interracial relationships were a rare sight on television. Star Trek went where no tv show had gone before by having Captain Kirk and Lieutenant Uhura lock lips resulting in the first interracial kiss on television.
- I Love Lucy - Primetime television tended to play things fairly safe back then, the characters weren't meant to be seen as sexual beings but Lucy changed that being the first pregnant woman on a major Prime time television show.
- Golden Girls - Blanche introduces her friends to her gay brother who surprises Blanche with the fact that he and his significant other plan on being married. While Blanche believed that she was able to accept her brother being gay, she couldn't come to terms that her brother would be a married gay man and not hide it from the world. Sophia was quick to check Blanche and remind her that her brother wants the same thing as what Blanche had with her husband.
- Family Matters - Police are a touchy subject nowadays but Family Matters was already addressing how racist they can be against black people. Carl Winslow calls out his fellow policemen for racial profiling his son and calling them out on their bs.
What are some of your fave groundbreaking moments in tv? What moments would be groundbreaking today that have yet to be tackled?