A group of well-known songwriters - who have written for Gaga, Kylie, Ari, Dua Quarantina Travelipa, and more - are banding together as a group calling themselves "The Pact". They are collectively speaking up about pop stars using their leverage to demand a cut of publishing or songwriting credits without contributing anything. In response to this predatory behavior, The Pact put out an open letter saying they won't give credit unless the singer actually contributed something "meaningful" to the composition.
It states: "This body of songwriters will not give publishing or songwriting credit to anyone who did not create or change the lyric or melody or otherwise contribute to the composition without a reasonably equivalent/meaningful exchange for all the writers on the song."
This issue is so interesting to me and some of the people who have signed are pretty well known, so I'll share some of their credits and a quote about stars trying to steal credits if I can find one.
Emily Warren (the person behind organizing The Pact2)
- Credits: "Don't Start Now" & "New Rules" by Dua Lipa, "Boys" by Charli XCX
- Quote: Warren once tried to negotiate a better deal with an artist and then the artist used "bully tactics and threats" against her and that this practice is getting worse.1
- Credits: Chainsmokers, Ellie Goulding, DAYA, Bebe Rexha
- Quote: Said it's standard for artists to demand 20 and 35% of writing credits that they didn't compose, but some have asked for up to 50%.1
- Credits: Demi Lovato, Lady Gaga, Selena Gomez, Britney Spears
Other signatories: Victoria Monét (Stream F.U.C.K.), Ross Golan, Tayla Parx, Savan Kotecha, Joel Little, Amy Allen
I am standing with @_the_pact to try and make things better for the next generation of songwriters. There are much bigger issues in the world, and much bigger issues in our industry, but this is something we can take a stand against now. https://t.co/Cc94GSRcUY— Justin Tranter (@justtranter) March 30, 2021
Also in the news:
- A U.K.-based movement called "Pay Songwriters" created its own open letter, directed towards record labels. It's been signed by Andrew Lloyd Webber, Giorgio Moroder, MNEK, Ross Golan, Stargate, Rick Nowels, Natalie Hemby, Savan Kotchecha, and more. They request per diems and points on the master from the label share.3
- British MPs have been investigating the "economics of music streaming". Fiona Bevan said she made only £100 (~117.59 USD) for co-writing "Unstoppable" on Kylie Minogue's Disco album. She said, "The most successful songwriters in the world can't pay their rent" and "hit songwriters are driving Ubers. It's quite shameful."2, 4
- Spotify, YouTube Music, andAmazon Music are fighting, in court, a streaming payraise for songwriters and publishers decided by the US Copyright Royalty Board (CRB).5
Sources: The Pact Official Website, 1 2 3 4 5 SM Posts: 6 7 8 Wiki pages for credits: 9 10 11 12
ONTD: Which stars have messed with your money?