A statement from the National Society of Film Critics regarding Variety's apology for its PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN review pic.twitter.com/9XZgGAGOjs— National Society of Film Critics (@NatSocFilmCrix) February 9, 2021
- Alarmed by Variety's published apology for the review.
- Insinuate an agenda by highlighting that Mulligan's objection occurred "almost a year later in the thick of awards season."
- Quote the Variety review without referring to the language to which Mulligan most objected.
- Believe that Variety "capitulated" to Mulligan's criticism by publishing an editor's note that tries to disguise an opinion as inarguable fact.
- Claim that writers need the support of their publications, especially from the powerful people they may criticize.
Just like the review that kicked this all off, this letter desperately needed an engaged editor.— Alan Scherstuhl (@studiesincrap) February 9, 2021
The complaint about Variety "capitulating" to Mulligan's criticism suggests that Mulligan made demands and is somehow a bully.
Source = https://twitter.com/NatSocFilmCrix/status/1359185359922319363
Source = https://twitter.com/studiesincrap/status/1359204896000659456