After backlash over her song "Yellow Bone" (previous ONTD post) professional blackfish and singer DaniLeigh decided to shove her foot further in her mouth. She explained that she thought of releasing a written statement but ultimately decided that a rambling video further exposing her ignorance was the way to go.
In the 2-minute video she clarifies where she was coming from in recording the song and addresses the criticism she received. Highlights include:
- Doubling down on her belief that she is light-skinned and a yellow bone despite not being Black.
- Stressing that the song is just about her man and what he wants/has.
- Acknowledging that colorism is real and shortly thereafter contradicting herself by stating she doesn't see her skin as a privilege.
- Brown-skinned women make positive songs about their complexion so why can't she?
- She can't be racist or colorist because she's dating
a Black man"a whole chocolate man" and has Black"beautiful melanin friends." Skin isn't even something that she sees.
- She's sorry that she offended you and hopes we can move past it.
All of this was done while sporting box braids and speaking in a blaccent. She elected not to address her extensive use of the N-word both in her music and on social media.
DaniLeigh speaks after backlash from her recent song release. pic.twitter.com/1iECQkM5eF— TheHipHopGuru (@thhgurutv) January 24, 2021
Note: This version is slightly different, not sure why. She posted and deleted her apology a couple days ago so I can't use the one direct from the source.
SOURCES: 1, 2