[Spoiler (click to open)]
* In S2 they showed Holden's growth by him not going after the protomolecule and going to save Naomi, now they show his growth by not going after Naomi and instead going after the protomolecule. Wes praises Dom's work in 5X07. It's the most emotionally, physically and mentally exhausted Dom has ever been on the show. It took everything out of her and took her a couple of months to recover, it was so emotionally draining. Dom says she isn't a method actress, instead she finds writing character memories really helpful to pull from. Filming the flashback scene was a nice break from being at each other's throats all season, to explore what their love might have looked like and also empowered why their hate was so impassioned. Ty thinks it was important to show why Naomi might have been with Marco, to understand where she comes from.
* They talk about the science of Naomi's space walk. NASA accidentally put one of their scientists in vacuum in the 60's, it's on video so they know what happens. The two big dangers are radiation (there's nothing between you and the sun, that's why Naomi gets burned on one side of her face, the one that's facing the sun) and there not being any air- on earth you can hold your breath and keep air in your lungs, in space you can't do that, you have to let the air out or it will damage your lungs. That means you have about 15 seconds of oxygen in your blood before you pass out. A few minutes later, if you're still in space, you'll die.
* Dom thinks Holden is safe for Naomi, that he provides safety and calmness and is the opposite of Marco. Ty sees Marco as the bad guy version of Holden, they're both charismatic and incredibly passionate about their ideals about how the world should be and are driven by them. Dom says you get glimpses of the dark side of Holden's drive when he goes after the protomolecule in s2 and that was why Naomi left, that was when he started looking like Marco to her. The line is so thin, it's so easy to cross it. [OP Note: Holden? Charismatic? Citation needed. And IMO while I do think Holden is moral, he tends to be more laid back and waits to come across a wrong he needs to fix, rather than chase it down and change the world]
* Naomi has always represented hope. Those months looking for Filip beat the hope out of her. Now she goes into that situation again with that same hope, that she'll be able to save him from Marco's radicalization and manipulation. That moment he backhands her on the bridge was when she realized she couldn't do it, she failed to break through and it has a higher cost this time. In this moment Marco 'won again', when she thought she reached Filip and Cyn and they turned from her. It gives Naomi her freedom back, she can't fix this and can allow herself to give up. But on the outside it looks like justification for suicide attempt (which is what she wants them to think she's doing). Cyn thinks he understands what's happening because of that moment.
* Dom talks about Marisol Adler, the director for 5X07 (and 5X08). Dom isn't sure she would have been able to get through these episodes without her attentiveness and nurturing-ness that she brought, she was very careful with what Dom was doing. Dom felt cushioned by her and that she had her back. Dom also praises the choices she made, like how she cut the flashbacks to just be in Naomi's head and not be cheesy and to serve as a contrast for the dynamic with Marco in the next scene. Ty says, not taking anything away from her as a great director, that having a woman direct those episodes about an abusive relationship and escaping it adds just a little more empathy to it.
Jared Harris, who played Anderson Dawes in S1+2 and is continuously referenced on the show, is still a fan.
The new season of @ExpanseOnPrime is great! It's expanding (😉) all the character arcs in such a satisfying way. Kudos to @TheExpanseWR. It's expertly playing on the paranoia of the first 2 seasons. Epic scale production value. And I ❤️ waiting a week for the episodes 2 drop.— Jared Harris (@JaredHarris) January 14, 2021
Science Q&A with James SA Corey (Ty Franck) behind a cut, featuring Holden not getting sucked out in 5X04, [spoilers for 5X07]Cyn passing out immediately, Naomi's space walk, Bobbie's discarded bullet and Roci spin maneuver.
Yup. The air just isn't moving fast enough to yank people out. The math is pretty clear on this. https://t.co/zvAowBpEgz— James S.A. Corey (@JamesSACorey) January 13, 2021
Holding your breath kills you in vacuum.— James S.A. Corey (@JamesSACorey) January 13, 2021
You have fifteen seconds or less before unconsciousness in vacuum even if you're ready for it and have hyperventilated first to oxygenate your blood. If it takes you by surprise, it could be far less.
He gets knocked out fast. https://t.co/LEaF2pfvOO
Naomi was ready for the vacuum, had hyperventilated to build up O2 in her blood, and exhaled immediately.— James S.A. Corey (@JamesSACorey) January 14, 2021
Cyn was taken completely by surprise. The 15 seconds you get before passing out is best case scenario if you do everything else right. https://t.co/uH7RLuwjeX
It seems like a person who's repressurized within a minute or two doesn't suffer permanent damage, at least based on the one time we accidentally put a NASA technician into vacuum. He came out of it fine. https://t.co/5Ywxe19ot2— James S.A. Corey (@JamesSACorey) January 13, 2021
Bobbie and Alex are going up and down that ladder several times a day, as the sleeping area and toilet is "below" them. I assume Bobbie would grab the bullet laying down there next time she went. https://t.co/mvppf1NdwC— James S.A. Corey (@JamesSACorey) January 13, 2021
They're laying on their backs in that ship. That bullet fell to the "floor." There's no situation where it becomes a high speed projectile because thrust pins it there. https://t.co/srxgGHgguz— James S.A. Corey (@JamesSACorey) January 13, 2021
I am curious about the circumstances people think will occur that will cause a 7 gram bullet to achieve lethal speed in the opposite direction of thrust gravity? I mean, if the ship stopped that fast, the bullet on the floor is the least of your issues. https://t.co/dmYgwQKY5y— James S.A. Corey (@JamesSACorey) January 15, 2021
The Roci has six PDCs but they are all along her flanks. They're facing two dozen incoming threats in a circle. By spinning the ship, you ensure that no matter the direction a torp comes from, at least one PDC will consider it 'the closest threat' as some point in the spin. https://t.co/6bvE7EqMjC— James S.A. Corey (@JamesSACorey) January 14, 2021
And the one thing that was intentionally fudged-
Finally a legit crit!!!— James S.A. Corey (@JamesSACorey) January 14, 2021
Yeah, you caught us. This was actually intentional by the director to get that haunting last shot, so it was fudged a bit. https://t.co/jbgMLBo8BY
SOURCES: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11
Spoilers for 5X07-
[Spoiler (click to open)]
Naomi fucking Nagata, queen of space