Another 10-task challenge. You obviously don’t need to do all 10 tasks, choose as many as you want, but I figured it gives you some variety and allows you to pick and choose movies that fit your taste but also maybe lead you to watch something you wouldn’t normally seek out. For each task, you can pick whatever movie fits within the guidelines, I've added links to help you out. I tried to add tasks that would allow you to get movies on Netflix, Amazon Prime, and/or Hulu – but there’s also Kanopy and Hoopla (both of which you can get free access through your library or university). Have a different movie for each task – that is, don’t have the same movie for task 2 and task 6.
1. The man who will say yes to anything (except paying his taxes), Nicolas Cage, has a birthday on January 7th. Watch any one of his movies.
2. Watch any movie that has been referenced in Parks and Recreation.
3. I've been invited to a worrying number of house parties the last few weeks (there's still a pandemic, my friends), watch any movie featuring a house party.
4. For the last few months TCM has been doing a Women Who Make Film Series. Watch any movie that was featured. (I made a list to make it easier... HERE).
5. Watch any movie that Spike Lee has put on his Essential Films list.
6. Christmas is behind us, but Be Kind Rewind made a 25 days of Christmas list. Watch any movie she suggested OR, to give you more options, watch any movie featuring an actress she listed.
7. Watch any movie featured on the IndieWire Critics Poll of the 50 best movies of 2020.
8. Each December the National Film Registry adds 25 movies they deem significant. Watch any movie deemed culturally, historically, and aesthetically significant.
9. Watch any Cyperpunk movie.
10. Watch any movie that has been sitting in your watchlist for a while. I have a bunch I keep putting off.
ONTD, what do you plan on watching this month? What did you watch during the month of December?
SOURCES: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11.
Previous months challenges