Ready to wrap up your Sunday by revisiting a trainwreck of a celebrity interview?
Cara Delevingne's first major interview for Vogue was a huge disaster. She was a major it-girl as an edgy model, but she was also pandering to a tween audience. It was around the same time that Cara was photographed allegedly dropping a baggie of cocaine.
Vogue is infamous for its ass-licking profiles. So the fact that the writer called out Cara says a lot.
Cara Delevingne: Everyone's Favorite Rebel Model
by Plum Sykes
Cara and Plum Sykes, a socialite and fashion writer, are scheduled to meet in London's most prestigious spa. Cara is incredibly late. Why?
- "Cara has overslept... Luckily she lives around the corner with her parents, so she hasn’t had to tumble too far.
- Her parents’ home, she says, is becoming clogged with piles of unopened boxes of hats and T-shirts sent by admiring brands."
Her behavior throughout the interview is erratic. First, she is exhausted. But she becomes excitable at random moments.
- "She flops onto a buttoned sofa. 'I’m just so tired!' she says. She certainly seems weary: The catlike eyes have undisguised dark circles underneath... 'Let’s go to Hackney City Farm this afternoon, and I can play with the animals!' she cries, suddenly enthusiastic. She has just 'made friends with a baby lamb in Scotland.'
She disses fashion modeling while speaking to a fashion magazine for which she has modeled:
- “I love acting,” she says. “I do it as a hobby. If I was able to have that as a career. . . . Hopefully the fashion thing is a stepping-stone.
Then, Cara falls asleep and leaves the interviewer waiting for 30 minutes.
- "An hour later I await Cara on a wicker lounger. I am definitely relaxed enough for the interview. I read a magazine, have some tea, look at the time. Fifteen minutes pass. No Cara. Half an hour. Finally a masseuse appears and whispers to me that Cara has fallen asleep.
Dear reader, to misquote Oscar Wilde, can I say that to oversleep once for a Vogue interview may be regarded as a misfortune, but to oversleep twice looks like carelessness?
- Cara finally appears, looking refreshed after her rest. 'I’m so sorry!!!' she exclaims, collapsing into a chair. 'I fall asleep everywhere! Someone recently asked if they could publish a book of pictures of me sleeping, because there are so many.'
- I call photographer Tim Walker, who has worked with Cara many times. 'Every shoot I’ve done with her, she’s fallen asleep,' he tells me. 'She slept for seven hours on one Mulberry shoot.'"
The interviewer later finds out that Cara was NOT out late working, as she had claimed, but was partying with Lily Allen the night before.
- "So this is what the wildly successful, hugely in-demand, overtired, overworked supermodel and soon-to-be leading actress is really famous for in England: inspiring a new national sport, checking out what Cara Delevingne got up to the night before."
The last paragraph is the interviewer politely yet firmly calling out Delevingne:
- "A few days later, I talk to Cara on the phone. I ask if her reputation for partying—evidenced in endless photographs of her with everyone from Rihanna and Rita Ora to Mario Testino, Emma Watson, and Michelle Rodriguez—has anything to do with her tiredness. 'Well, the going out is more to do with the fact that I am literally jet-lagged all the time,' she says. 'I can’t sleep in the evenings. Most of the pictures people see of me are me going to work events: a Fendi dinner one night, a Prada dinner the next, and working all day.
'Actually,' she continues, adorably ingenuous to the last, 'compared to anyone else my age that I know, I really go out so little.'"
Ever overslept bc you were partying the night before?
Read more notorious interviews with Chris Evans, Jennifer Lopez, Kate Winslet, Beyoncé, and Channing Tatum.