19 Times Actors Should Have Thought Twice Before Taking A Role https://t.co/cOw8JhB9DN— BuzzFeed (@BuzzFeed) October 3, 2020
5/19 Times Actors Should Have Thought Twice Before Taking A Role
- When Emma Stone (a white woman) played Captain Allison Ng, a character of Hawaiian and Chinese decent, in Aloha
- When Jared Leto (a cisgender man) played Rayon, a trans woman, in Dallas Buyers Club
- When Ziyi Zhang (who's Chinese) and Michelle Yeoh (who's Malaysian) played two Japanese characters in Memoirs of a Geisha — a film that depicts a traditional aspect of Japanese culture
- When Rooney Mara (a white woman) played Tiger Lily, a Native American character, in Pan
- When Jim Sturgess and Kate Bosworth (both white) were cast in 21 — a film based on a true story about the MIT Blackjack Team, which consisted of all Asian students.