- The National Women’s Soccer League announced that Los Angeles has been awarded an expansion team, which will be in place spring 2022.
- A majority woman-founded group led by Natalie Portman, technology venture capitalist Kara Nortman, media/gaming entrepreneur Julie Uhrman and Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian secured the expansion rights.
- The founding investor group includes those mentioned above plus Serena Williams and daughter, Alexis Ohanian, Jr.; actors Uzo Aduba, Jessica Chastain, America Ferrera, Jennifer Garner and Eva Longoria; late night talk show host Lilly Singh; former USWNT players Julie Foudy, Mia Hamm, Rachel Buehler, Shannon Boxx, Amanda Cromwell, Lorrie Fair Allen, Ronnie Fair Sullins, Joy Fawcett, Angela Hucles, Shannon MacMillan, Tisha Venturini Hoch, and Saskia Webber, two-time Olympic Gold Medalist and FIFA World Cup Champions Lauren Cheney Holiday and Abby Wambach; author Glennon Doyle; Netflix VP Original Content Cindy Holland; tech entrepreneur and filmmaker Casey Neistat; Founding Board Member of Baby2Baby Sabina Nathanson; Media Executive David Nathanson; Baby2Baby Co-President Norah Weinstein; and Bad Robot President and COO Brian Weinstein.
- Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr, at age two, makes her the youngest ever owner in professional sports.
- Also announced the team’s partnership with the Play Equity Fund, a local nonprofit focused on bridging the gap in access to sports in underserved communities.
- Portman became close to the USWNT after Times Up and the USWNT Players Association started working together on their pay dispute with US Soccer.
- Will announce name and venue by the end of the year.
- LA ONTD, you better show up.