I am EXTREMELY DELIGHTED -- like, OVER THE MOON -- to announce that @thehikarism will direct the 'Eleanor & Park' film being produced by @picturestart and Plan B Entertainment. pic.twitter.com/clRnulJEyV— Rainbow Rowell (@rainbowrowell) July 5, 2020
Author Rainbow Rowell announced this weekend that Japanese filmmaker Hikari will direct the film adaptation of her book "Eleanor and Park" and that casting will start next week. Picturestart and Brad Pitt's company Plan B will produce. The film centers on two teen misfits who fall in love ini 1980s Omaha, Nebraska. The book has been beloved for its plus-sized lead, but heavily criticized for its anti-Asian and anti-Black racism and its mishandling of a biracial Korean American character.
A quick primer of why Eleanor & Park is racist:
- The Problem with Eleanor & Park
- ‘Eleanor & Park’: Where romance and racism seem to go hand-in-hand
- Is ‘Eleanor & Park’ racist? Movie announcement renews criticisms
- The Asian Fetish and Racism in Eleanor & Park
- The shocking amount of racism in Rainbow Rowell's Eleanor & Park