The cost-cutting at the news division arrives as part of a broad restructuring after the December closing of the merger between Viacom and CBS https://t.co/Od5LoMeq8m— The Hollywood Reporter (@THR) May 27, 2020
- CBS News laid off about 50 staffers (by employees' guesses) as part of cost-cutting measures to meet their "post-merger synergy targets" (i.e. to keep shareholders happy without cutting compensation to remaining executives and on-air newsreaders.)
- Other reporters have lamented the loss of longtime colleagues who've contributed more to journalism than America's Coziest Home Videos
6. Terrible news.— Yashar Ali 🐘 (@yashar) May 28, 2020
Three sources familiar with the matter tell me that one of the people laid off by CBS News is White House reporter @markknoller who is a journalistic institution. Mark also functions as a White House historian for many reporters and so many of us on Twitter.
8. Another legend laid off by CBS News, Dean Reynolds.— Yashar Ali 🐘 (@yashar) May 28, 2020
Dean has served as a mentor and an inspiration for many on-air reporters.
What a loss.
10. Another layoff at CBS News...correspondent @DonDahlerCBS.— Yashar Ali 🐘 (@yashar) May 28, 2020
Don was the first network correspondent on the scene on 9/11 after Al-Qaeda attacked the World Trade Center Towers.
- While it's not John Krasinski's fault that CBS is firing a bunch of people seven years after he had the idea for cuddly Tosh.0 before launching it to anxious Office stans during a pandemic, it doesn't say good things about CBS's priorities that they'll get in a bidding war over brainless, feel-good drivel that won't even primarily feature Jim Halpert while binning CBS News staff. But he is kind of an asswipe for other reasons.
SOURCES: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6
TIL Tosh.0 is still on the air