RELEASE: The Canadian Olympic Committee and Canadian Paralympic Committee have made the difficult decision to not send Canadian teams to the Olympic and Paralympic Games in the summer of 2020: https://t.co/HyOBA5wwp4 pic.twitter.com/x9OWABVxMA— Team Canada PR (@TeamCanadaPR) March 23, 2020
- The Canadian Olympic Committee and Canadian Paralympic Committee announced today that they won't be sending any athletes to the summer games over COVID-19 risk. They call on the IOC to postpone the games by one year.
- In a press release they said: "This is not solely about athlete health – it is about public health. With COVID-19 and the associated risks, it is not safe for our athletes, and the health and safety of their families and the broader Canadian community for athletes to continue training towards these Games. In fact, it runs counter to the public health advice which we urge all Canadians to follow."
- Meanwhile, the IOC announced they will decide in 4 weeks what they're doing with the games. Previously they said the games would happen as planned with tighter restrictions on athletes regarding COVID-19. But public pressure has caused them to rethink this
UPDATE: Australia has now also said they will be not be sending athletes to the summer games.
Source + 1, 2