- Depp texted his doctor on March 7 2015: “I cut the tip of my middle finger off. What should I do? Except of course go to hospital. I am so embarrassed for jumping into anything with her. F**K the world. JD..’
- Twelve days later he texted the doctor: “Thank you for everything. I have chopped off my left middle finger as a reminder that I should never cut my finger off again. I love you brother, Johnny.”
- The revelation was made amid Depp’s ongoing libel case against The Sun, which published an article in 2018 with the headline “Gone Potty - How can JK Rowling be 'genuinely happy' casting wife-beater Johnny Depp in the new Fantastic Beasts film?”
- During today's hearing, a lawyer representing The Sun described the events which preceded the self-inflicted finger-cutting, during which Depp allegedly “shoved Ms. Heard into a ping-pong table, threw bottles through window panels of a glass door, then grabbed Ms Heard and tore off her nightgown.” Depp then purportedly “grabbed Ms. Heard by her neck and choked her against the refrigerator,” “mocked her, while touching and grabbing her by her breasts and repeatedly shoved her up against the refrigerator” and “then grabbed Ms. Heard by the neck and collarbone, slammed her against the counter-top and strangled her.”
- Depp, who has previously claimed his career has suffered from Heard’s allegations, was not present for today’s hearing, instead staying at his chateau in the South of France.