Grub Street Diet asks a variety of well-known people to report on what they eat over the course of a week or so, and the person chosen for their most recent edition was The Farewell director Lulu Wang. Some of the highlights from her food diary are listed below, but read the full thing at the source.
- To get over the flu, Lulu drinks coffee, bone broth, and juice - "lots of liquids" - in order to run the writer's room she's currently supervising on weekdays.
- Her brother is the sous chef at Auburn, so she gets to try things he's working on for the restaurant. But this week, he came over and cooked zha jiang mian for her as she was getting over the flu - a noodle dish made from her mom's recipe.
- Has a VIP card at Boba Guys, entitling her to one free boba drink a day forever.
- Gets together with a group of WOC director friends whenever possible - this time, to get sheng jian bao, shrimp, and dumplings at Tasty Noodle House for Chinese New Year. This was their first reunion in two years, since right before Lulu left to make The Farewell, and she calls these women her "saving grace".
- Lulu and her boyfriend, director Barry Jenkins, like going to Rustic Canyon and Birdie G's.
- Goes to a all-woman's Korean spa called Hugh to get spa and massage treatments and eat dumplings.
- Thinks that the best foods in America are all from immigrant cultures, and loves the variety of options in Miami, where she grew up, and California, where she lives now.