A couple of anonymous academy members spoke to the New York Post about why they didn't vote for Sandler, Murphy, Lopez, or Awkwafina.
- Per a longtime character actor and Academy member: “First of all, ‘Hustlers’ is not an ‘Oscar movie.’ It’s a little too rough around the edges, and I’m assuming some other people in the acting category didn’t see it."
- Terry Moore, a 91 year old actress and Academy member, said that she found Jennifer's performance overrated. She also states that she feels that Florence Pugh may have gotten Jennifer's spot because Little Women is seen as a "prestige movie" and Florence is a "bright new star."
- The anonymous character actor also went on to say that other actors think of Jennifer as a "a phenomenon more than an actress." They cite that is the same reason why Lady Gaga didn't win last year, other actors do not see them as a "real actor's actor."
- The source also said that while Sandler is emerging as a "truly great actor", Hollywood does not take him serious due to his "cheesy Netflix comedies that are really dumb.”
- And some voters did not like Sandler's comments that he made on the Howard Stern show about winning an Oscar and feel that Sandler is arrogant.
- The source also admitted that some voters may not have even bothered to watch Hustlers, Uncut Gems, or The Farewell.
The Post also states that some voters did not like how hard Eddie Murphy was campaigning for an Oscar but said that if Murphy or Sandler gave another great performance, they will be nominated.