In 2013, I directed, produced, & wrote the screenplay for The Truth About Emanuel. Today, I filed a copyright infringement lawsuit against Apple Inc., M. Night Shyamalan, & Tony Basgallop for the extensive & irrefutable plagiarism in @Servant. Thread 1/4https://t.co/w4Ae56WI78— Francesca Gregorini (@francescagreg) January 15, 2020
• AppleTV+ series, "Servant", is extremely similar to her 2013 film, "The Truth About Emanuel" (which Gregorini directed/produced/wrote)
• Premise of both medias: A mother who’s grieving the death of her baby uses an eerily lifelike “reborn doll” to help her process the loss, and subsequently forms an intimate relationship with the nanny she hires to take care of the “infant.”
• Argues that virtually all of her movie was repurposed by Shyamalan and Basgallop in Servant: aesthetic details, characters, plot developments, even the blocking of certain shots.
• Gregorini wrote her film from her own grief over her inability to conceive a child and growing up with an absent parent.
• Says the only major difference is that Servant is missing the female perspective and ignores the emotional component of the relationship between the mother and the nanny