- For those who aren't following wrestling here is a quick recap (or as quick as one can do for a WWE storyline). Lana and Rusev were married. Lana cheated on Rusev with Bobby Lashley. There was a lot of fighting. Lana and Bobby were going to get married on the final episode of RAW of 2019.
- Liv Morgan was previously a member of the tag team the Riott Squad. She hasn't been seen in WWE for six months and for a while posted cryptic messages on Twitter. In the last few weeks she's been in segments talking about a makeover and how she has to be reborn or something. The popular theory was she was joining The Fiend in the Firefly Funhouse. But this is the WWE so that's obviously not what happened.
- Liv made her return on RAW by crashing the Lana/Bobby wedding proclaiming she couldn't see the love of her life, which was implied to be Bobby get married but NOPE. Liv instead proclaims her love for Lana. Turns out Liv and Lana had been having an affair because apparently surprise lesbians is still shocking and cool.
- It should be noted that out Lesbian wrestler Sonya Deville has asked creative in the past for a LGBTQA+ storyline (potentially with tag team partner Mandy Rose) but has been turned down. Deville revealed on Total Divas that she had even met with creative and discussed a possible storyline.
- Many fans took to twitter to call out the WWE for still using someone's sexuality for shock value and for ignoring Deville when they could do a powerful and important storyline with her. Many also said they felt the WWE was only doing this because it would be considered hot and both Liv and Lana are attractive and blonde.
- The segment ended with Lana’s real-life husband, Rusev (also a wrestler), bursting out of the wedding cake to attack Bobby.
Sonya Deville and Mandy Rose (WWE):
I know my friend I know 🤯 https://t.co/riAfd8b5ff— Daria Berenato (@SonyaDevilleWWE) December 31, 2019
Effy (Queer Indie Wrestler):
I only watch wwe raw for the exploitative gay wedding storylines and I finally got another one.— EFFY (@EFFYlives) December 31, 2019
I think specifically it’s damaging to bisexual representation overall because it implies that Lana, in love with a man, must fulfill her lust for women by cheating in her relationship https://t.co/ocEFx5dB2k— EFFY (@EFFYlives) December 31, 2019
And I think it’s a disservice to Sonya Deville who has been pushing hard for a subtle lgbt angle with her tag partner and that was thrown out in favor of an out of left field reveal at a hokey wedding to pinnacle a cuck angle— EFFY (@EFFYlives) December 31, 2019
Of the fact that this was done with no intention of being more exclusive and just something for Vince to chuckle at and say haha now they’re lesbian! Under his breath— EFFY (@EFFYlives) December 31, 2019
Even when Finn Balor did an exclusive lgbtq entrance at wrestle mania it felt important for a moment but in a sense it was a false flag and they were realistically just feeding gay fans crumbs to make them shut up for 10 minutes— EFFY (@EFFYlives) December 31, 2019
CM Punk (Former WWE Wrestler, commentator on Fox):
WWE needs to hire people who actually understand what representation means to the audience they’re trying to reach. But what do I know? I’m a bear, I suck the heads off fish. pic.twitter.com/qRUYpgylyS— player/coach (@CMPunk) December 31, 2019
Joey Ryan (Impact Wrestling, known for using his penis as a weapon - yes, really):
This is so bad. And the talent isn't at fault, it falls on the writers. Using gay for shock value perpetrates the idea that it is unusual or odd which keeps stereotypes alive. No wonder WWE struggles to find a millennial audience. https://t.co/noqUijv4xS— Joey Ryan (@JoeyRyanOnline) December 31, 2019
Source + My TV, 1, 2, 3, 4