Little Women (1994) hive! Today is the 25th anniversary of the premiere, so I’m reupping my oral history and sharing some interview bits I loved that had to be cut for space. (thread)https://t.co/1qVOhyFgQG pic.twitter.com/rsM6kn5fT2— Ashley Spencer (@AshleyySpencer) December 12, 2019
- From the article: One of Claire Denis' wigs caught fire on a candle and Winona Ryder was quick to slap her castmate's head and put it out.
- Amy Pascal was really passionate about the story, but everyone was surprised about how well the movie ended up doing, Unfortunately, the industry treated it like a fluke and not as prove that women-led and directed movies could do well.
- Hugh Grant and John Turturro were in the race to play Professor Bhaer.
- Reese Witherspoon was supposed to play young and older Amy March, but they thought that the same person playing both Amys didn't work and Gillian Armstrong had really loved Kirsten Dunst for the part. Natalie Portman and Thora Birch also read for the role.
- The cast developed a family-like bond.
- Winona says that it's one of the few movies of her she actually watch because she really likes it and it was such a special experience.
Winona Ryder could only ever imagine Christian Bale as Laurie. pic.twitter.com/wODVxxGdhP— Ashley Spencer (@AshleyySpencer) December 12, 2019
Claire also felt like she was caught somewhere between the kids and the cool, older cast. Not a girl, not yet a woman. pic.twitter.com/MU8Qtp07l2— Ashley Spencer (@AshleyySpencer) December 12, 2019
Which resulted in a tragic wig for her Older Amy counterpart, Samantha Mathis. pic.twitter.com/f2BisOsJje— Ashley Spencer (@AshleyySpencer) December 12, 2019
The men also sometimes felt like they were “just here to prove that the women are heterosexual.” pic.twitter.com/csj1kCaQrv— Ashley Spencer (@AshleyySpencer) December 12, 2019