Charlize Theron Details the Night Her Mother Shot and Killed Her Father: 'I'm Not Ashamed' https://t.co/O0PThIhH4l— People (@people) December 17, 2019
-Charlize Theron opened up about the night her mother shot and killed her father in self - defense.
- Theron" My father was so drunk that he shouldn't have been able to walk when he came into the house with a gun, My mom and I were in my bedroom leaning against the door because he was trying to push through the door". " So both of us were leaning against the door from the inside to have him not be able to push through. He took a step back and just shot through the door three times. None of the bullets ever hit us which is just a miracle".
- Theron's mother shot her husband to death,but was not charged due to it being an act of self-defense.
- The moment stayed with the actress. Theron" This family violence,this kind of violence happens within the family,is something that I share with a lot of people. I'm not ashamed to talk about it , because I do think the more we talk about these things,the more we realize we are not alone in any of it".
- On growing up with a father with an addiction to alcohol: Theron"I only knew him as an alcoholic. It was a pretty hopeless situation. Our family was just kind of stuck in it. And the day to day unpredictability of living with an addict is the thing that you sit with and have kind of embedded in your body for the rest of your life,more than this one event of what happened one night. Of course I wish what happened that night never happened. It's unfortunately what happens when you don't get to the root of these issues".
- Theron spoke of her mother's influence in the past. Theron" I am lucky enough that I have a great mom who really made me brave and always told me to be brave. I don't know who I might have been without that".