Tonight, a recently unearthed adaptation of “Wuthering Heights,” starring Richard Burton and Rosemary Harris, will be televised for the first time since 1958. https://t.co/79Yx4Twhxm— The New Yorker (@NewYorker) December 6, 2019
- In 1999 actress Rosemary Harris* met Jane Klain who is a researcher at the Paley Center who specializes in unearthing long forgotten classics
- In 1958 Harris played adult Cathy in a live TV version of Wuthering Heights starring Richard Burton as Heathcliff
- She was a last minute replacement and only had 4 days to prepare. Right before her death scene she forgot her lines and had to quickly re-read them before stuffing them under a pillow and performing the scene
- Harris asked Klain to find the broadcast to see if her hiding her lines had been captured
- Klain spent decades trying to hunt it down and last year told Harris she had failed
- But success! She recently was able to track down the only version of the broadcast (a TV historian had it) and had it sent to Harris (her last minute line refresher was not captured on film)
- Klain described it as "steamy"
- Wuthering Heights starring Richard Burton, Rosemary Harris and Patty Duke as young Cathy is airing on TCM at 8 p.m. EST tonight! It is the first time it will be aired since the original 1958 broadcast
ONTD have you ever recovered something you thought was lost for decades?