- Sept. 2017: The director (Josh Boone) delivered a cut of the film to Fox that he was happy with and it tested GREAT. As well as initial screenings of Deadpool did with audiences. Then 'It' was so successful that Fox decided to make the film more like Boone's original vision of a straight up horror movie.
- Oct. 2017: Fox released the trailer for 'New Mutants', you can see ONTD's excitement(?) here: https://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/108000390.html
- Jan. 2018: The film was pushed back to February 22, 2019, which allowed it to avoid Deadpool 2 while also allowing time for the reshoots required to make the film more frightening. The additional photography was soon set for mid-2018, and was expected to include the addition of several new characters to the film who would be present throughout rather than just added cameo appearances.
- Mar. 2018: Fox pushed it back again, moving it away from the new February 2019 release date for Dark Phoenix (which was later moved as well) to June 7, 2019. The studio now wanted at least half of the film to be reshot. The New Mutants was originally [Spoiler (click to open)]going to feature the Essex Corporation, which was first teased at the end of X-Men: Apocalypse, leading to a post-credits scene featuring the surprise reveal of Jon Hamm as the villain Mister Sinister, all of this was scrapped. The new post-credits scene would introduce Antonio Banderas as a different villain.
- Oct. 2018: After many rumours, Disney and FOX merger was officially announced for 2019, putting all FOX movies under evaluation.
- Mar. 2019: The reshoots had still not taken place and there were "none planned so far but things seem to be in the hands of Boone", according to THR.
- May. 2019: Disney released it's Fox inclusive slate and revealed that 'The New Mutants' has been pushed once again to April 3, 2020. Kinberg confirmed that reshoots would happen later in 2019, and since the actors were committed to various TV serials, "we've got to wait until they get off their shows and they can all be in the same place at the same time."
- Jun. 2019: Disney saw potential in 'The New Mutants' and Kevin Feige asked for reshots to keep it away from the Xmen universe and to include potential connections to the MCU.
- Aug. 2019: Kevin Feige saw the drafts and said 'Nah. Fuck that, i'm over it'. Rumours are circulating that the film will be released on Hulu (now that it's mainly owned by Disney) as a way to save distribution money.
Source: 1 and my memory.
ONTD, do you think it'll get delayed again?