- Jason Weaver, singing voice of 1994's "The Lion King" Simba, recently revealed he turned down a $2 million flat rate for the role in favor of royalties, with help from his mother.
- Weaver" I remember it was like $2 million", You gotta remember, they're coming off of " Beauty and the Beast" . They're coming off of " Aladdin" Disney had bread".
- Weaver's mother negotiated the royalties deal and Weaver walked away with $100,000 upfront and a share of the royalties.
- Weaver " Disney had a reputation for re- releasing stuff. I think at the time they had put out " Sleeping Beauty" and some of their old catalog from when Walt Disney was alive. They were releasing that stuff when they were releasing the new Disney stuff, so my mother was able to see the playing field and go," Wait a minute, this is going to make a lot of money over time , so what happens when my son turns 40? Is he going to be able to get a check for this when they eventually re- release this".
- Weaver says he has more than made up in royalties for turning down the $2 million
Ontd: Have you ever turned down an opportunity for something that may have been better?