- Hearthstone is a popular online competitive card game created by Blizzard and hosts Hearthstone tournaments every year (other Blizzard games include Overwatch, World of Warcraft, and Starcraft)
- One of Hearthstone's star players is Chung Ng Wai, otherwise known as "Blitzchung". During a recent post-match interview with the Hearthstone casters, while wearing a gas mask, shouted "Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our age!"
- Blizzard in response to this decided to remove Blitzchung from the Hearthstone grandmaster tournament, ban him from competing for a whole year, and pull all of the prize money he has earned.
- On top of that Blizzard has also fired the two casters that were interviewing Blitzchung.
- In spite of all of this Blitzchung does not regret anything he said "I know what my action on stream means. It could cause me lot of trouble, even my personal safety in real life. But I think it's my duty to say something about the issue."
- There has been massive backlash from social media to even some Blizzard employees since Blitzchung's ban with two of Blizzard's core values "Think Globally" and "Every Voice Matters" being covered up on the statue in front of their campus.
- Another competitive card game: Gods Unchained, released a statement siding with Blitzchung paying his lost winnings and inviting him to their $500k tournament.
Not everyone at Blizzard agrees with what happened.— Kevin Hovdestad (@lackofrealism) October 8, 2019
Both the "Think Globally" and "Every Voice Matters" values have been covered up by incensed employees this morning. pic.twitter.com/I7nAYUes6Q
.@Blizzard_Ent just banned @blitzchungHS and stripped his Hearthstone winnings because they care about money more than freedom. We will pay for ALL his lost winnings and a ticket to our $500k tournament: no player should be punished for their beliefs. #freegaming https://t.co/ONvtkG4x9G— Gods Unchained (@GodsUnchained) October 8, 2019
SOURCE 1 2 3 4